Food and Plastic Question

Briana Briana

Food and Plastic Question

Hi Everyone,

I'm a freshie when it comes to zero waste. Thank you all for the information in these forums. I've got a question that's bugging me across the entire internet.

Why is there an emphasis on switching to glass or stainless steel/metal containers for food storage? I understand plastics can release toxins, but isn't that only when heated? Wouldn't it be wise to reuse those containers for refrigerator or freezing use? I'm an RVer so weight is a consideration...

Thanks!

Briana
blancmama1 blancmama1

Re: Food and Plastic Question

I can't speak for everyone, but here our the reasons to go generally plastic-free.

On May 17, 2017 8:44 PM, "Briana [via .]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I'm a freshie when it comes to zero waste. Thank you all for the information in these forums. I've got a question that's bugging me across the entire internet.

Why is there an emphasis on switching to glass or stainless steel/metal containers for food storage? I understand plastics can release toxins, but isn't that only when heated? Wouldn't it be wise to reuse those containers for refrigerator or freezing use? I'm an RVer so weight is a consideration...

Thanks!

Briana

http://x.994912.n3.nabble.com/Food-and-Plastic-Question-tp4027365.html
To start a new topic under Kitchen (incl. Recipes), email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from ., click here.
NAML

Re: Food and Plastic Question

Plastic is fine for cold food storage. Don't microwave in it.  If you  want to get rid of it, donate it or recycle it.  Most plastic storage containers are marked on the bottom with the type of plastic used. Find a reputable website detailing what you have and what is safe to do with it.

The largest down side to the zero waste movement is its bourgeois character without adequate science  backing up their claims. You don't have to overhaul your entire house and spend a fortune on new items to do zero waste.  It's not zero waste if you get rid of all the plastic and buy new replacement items, you're still contributing to the problem.  What about your phone?  Your computer?  Do you own a car? There's a shit ton of plastic in there.

Do the best you can and work with what you have already.  Understand the science behind plastics and don't buy into scaremongering.
Briana Briana

Re: Food and Plastic Question

Glad to hear some logic. No plastic is definately more beautiful, but a lot of emphasis on getting rid of it had seemed as if it was missing the main point.

I had thought I missed something regarding the release of toxins from plastic when cold. If that were possible.

Thanks