Floss

CMD CMD

Floss

So, where can you buy compostable floss? Is it even out there?
Abigail S. Abigail S.

Re: Floss

Yes; Dentek sells compostable flossers in a compostable bag. The only thing that is not compostable is the tiny piece of floss itself (you remove the piece of flossing thread from the compostable stick and throw the little string away).

http://www.dentek.com/store/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=54

It's not 100% compostable but it's better than nothing I guess :)
Abigail S. Abigail S.

Re: Floss

oops - i just read the package and the bag is recyclable, not compostable (but the flossers themselves are still compostable)
CMD CMD

Re: Floss

The site says that they are compostable in a commerical composter, not backyard. So, don't know if it would work. Will need to see.
Marrena Lindberg Marrena Lindberg

Re: Floss

I don't think flossers, even compostable ones, make sense unless you have small children or someone disabled.  Whole Foods carries a couple brands of green floss--Tom's of Maine and Dr. Tung's Smart Floss.  I've tried both.  Tom's of Maine is lousy floss and is over packaged.  Dr. Tung's also comes in packaging, but less, and the floss is better than regular floss.  The plastic box is supposedly biodegradable and the floss itself uses natural wax.  Still, you have the plastic packaging, which in Boston is recyclable but not most places.
Marrena Lindberg Marrena Lindberg

Re: Floss

oh, those Dentek ones are reusable.  Ew.

wow, regular floss is full of chemicals--definitely only using Dr. Tung's from now on.  And floss itself is not recyclable, and it's the opposite of biodegradable.

I wonder what the Johnsons use?
Mau Mau

Re: Floss

According to the blog, they don't use floss. They use those rubber stimulators. Personally, I feel more confident in floss to get the job done, but as someone else said on the blog, it's a matter of personal preference.
Marrena Lindberg Marrena Lindberg

Re: Floss

Yes, that's a step too far for me, especially with kids.  I have a hard enough time getting them to floss at all--I would worry they wouldn't do a very good job with a rubber toothpick-type thing.  To each their own!
CMD CMD

Re: Floss

I've got to stick with floss too, dental hygiene is a big one for me. But, if non-silk compostable floss somehow makes it to the market, I'm buying it!

Re: Floss

I don't know if this is really a substitute, maybe just interesting: there is a device out there works like a water pik, but is attached to the stem of the shower head. My hygienist recommends it. Thoughts?? Certainly qualifies as multitasking!

Re: Floss

I gave the Butler gum stimulator tool a shot and found that it actually does a decent job of cleaning the area between the tooth and gum line. It does take a little longer to clean teeth this way than using floss. You have to remember to apply the pick to both the inner and outer gum lines. A pain, I know. I have to say, I'm also reluctant to mess with dental hygiene. I plan to try it out for a couple months and follow up with a visit to the dentist. That said, I do still use the occasional piece of floss to get in between teeth, say, after eating corn on-the-cob or sesame seeds:)

That shower head/water pik combo sounds like a crazy (but brilliant?) idea. What a way to multitask!

Re: Floss

Speaking of gum stimulators, has anyone seen one with a brass handle like the Johnsons apparently use? Wonder if that was a European coup?

Re: Floss

Yes, they have the copper/brass ones at CVS (but they are packaged).

Re: Floss

I also bought the brass handled gum stimulator at CVS. If you go to the Butler website, the store locator tool will direct you to the stores that carry that specific product. They don't sell the rubber tip refill at my local CVS, but the store locator says that ShopRite carries them.

Re: Floss

Got it. Thanks Wrennerd and Sandra. Not so exotic after all, I guess.

Sheesh, CVS is EVERYWHERE!

Re: Floss

One advantage I'm noticing that the gum stimulator has over floss is a reduction in mirror "splatter," if you know what I'm talking about;)

Re: Floss

hehehe
silkyhorse silkyhorse

Re: Floss

Here's what My Plastic Free Life had to say about floss:

http://myplasticfreelife.com/2010/04/plastic-free-dental-floss-not-quite/

This lady does a great job with her research.  Love it :)
Karin Karin

Re: Floss

We use an oral irrigator in the shower. It's rather ingenious and works very well! We purchased the Shower Breeze (6' version) on amazon. Packaging was better than some items. Be warned, though, the entire product is made of plastic. I'm not as opposed to plastic for some things as others here.
AMY AMY

Re: Floss

Was just going to get on here to suggest my choice for dental floss, Eco-Dent and saw that it is also what is recommended on the My Plastic-Free Life in the link someone else posted.  I will also attest to it being a really good floss, with really minimal packaging, and I find one box lasts me for several months.  As I'm writing this I am thinking of writing them to suggest the idea of a reusable box that you can refill with spools of floss!