Festive ideas for Christmas

Hi all-  I didn't get very many replies about Halloween, but I will persist with Christmas.  Any fun/ festive zw Christmas ideas?  Here are some I came up with:

Renting/streaming Christmas movies and sipping hot chocolate
Making gingerbread houses from scratch and decorating with bulk candy
Making gingerbread men
Caroling/singing carols
Attending a Christmas concert/pageant/living nativity
Making paper snowflakes from scratch paper
Sewing stockings from old sweaters
Checking out 25 christmas/winter themed books from the library and reading one a day with kids as a count- down to Christmas
Taking a nice family photo and sending it out with a Christmas letter via email/ etc.
Make snowmen
Make snow angels

Amy ever after Amy ever after

Re: Festive ideas for Christmas

Hi Trish,
I have a killer sweet tooth, so even though I might not remember all the event, toys, movies etc from bygone Christmases I can always remember which friend/ relative served what type of dessert/candies around the holiday.  We have a signature hot chocolate that we make regularly during Advent until Epiphany. Also I'm going to have my 3yo colour red and green designs on the blank part of scrap appear for wrapping paper.

One not ZW tradition we do is Chocolate Advent Calenders. Hmmm....... Must come up with a reusable alternative for Xmas 2014.

Re: Festive ideas for Christmas

Well are you going to share that recipe, or are you just bragging?!?!  ;)

I am kicking around a few advent calendar ideas myself.  My son is still just a baby. So I've got a couple years to find/save materials.  I have seen some cute ideas on pinterest. :

 There were ones made out of toilet paper rolls with the ends folded down and numbers drawn on.  I wondered if they would hold up very long, though.  Definitely easy and free.  Kids could color them with markers.

I have seen some mittens on a clothes line that were awfully cute. I was thinking about sewing 25 tiny mittens from a couple of sweaters then embroidering numbers on them.  They would hold up better, but I'm not sure I want to do that much sewing.

 I've seen cute decoupaged boxes (like the kind jewelry and watches come in) that might  be fun, but decoupage isn't exactly zero waste.  I've seen cute mini muffin tin ones with decoupaged magnets to cover the holes. I have a mini muffin tin with 24 holes, and I've been saving flat magnets that have come on phonebooks for years, not knowing what I was going to do with them.
michel88 michel88

Re: Festive ideas for Christmas

On Christmas party, I want to book best sports bar nyc for almost 20 people. Yeah, I know on this Christmas I couldn’t book bars easily that’ why I came here and need your help. Please help!

Re: Festive ideas for Christmas

We had school friends in the annual school production of "Annie", so we made attending each performance into our Holiday outings for the season.

In years past, our local downtown Macy's was our holiday destination. They have a marionette display each year which ends with an optional visit to Santa and the Santa shop.

The weather hasn't been very cooperative this year, but our local park and recreation department rents out snowshoes and cross country skis.  Taken to a state park where trails are groomed, it makes for a fun family outing and chance to learn new skills.

In the past the holiday break has also been a chance to revisit old hobbies (weaving potholders, crocheting, knitting, embroidery, felting all come to mind). Great chance for intergenerational exchanges which aren't overly food dependant.
bee bee

Re: Festive ideas for Christmas

My mum bought a wooden advent calendar quite a few years ago from an all year around Christmas shop. It has 24 little boxes forming the border around a wooden nativity scene. The boxes are big enough to fit the smallest size of chocolate bars (I forget what that size is called, but the ones usually found in party mix boxes such as Favourites etc. - I know individually wrapped chocolates are not zero waste, but my family is not zero waste & gives you an idea of the size). The boxes have a little door on a hinge. You could make one or have someone make one if you're not big on woodwork. Ours is still looking quite new despite being used every year. It seems pretty kid-friendly as my niece and nephews use it and don't seem able to break it =). If you wanted to use it with multiple children/people, then several bulk chocolate buttons would fit in the boxes.