Everyday cloth napkins

Rmg Rmg

Everyday cloth napkins

We are a family of seven and working at reducing waste. I had an old white bedsheet that was torn beyond repair. I was going to throw it into the rag bag when I had the idea of making napkins. My 8 & 9 yr old daughters helped me cut the sheet into squares that we hemmed on the machine. We made over two dozen napkins, the girls were proud of making them and learned sewing skills in the process.  We used the leftover cloth strips to make rag curls for a laugh too.

Re: Everyday cloth napkins

Nice!
Sarah Sarah

Re: Everyday cloth napkins

What a great idea. I recently got scolded by stepdaughter for repurposing our old motorcycle rider bandanas as cloth napkins! The rest of the family seems to think it's "cool" to use cycle gear at the dinner table, though.

Re: Everyday cloth napkins

Sarah, I'm a huge fan of bandanas -- such a multipurpose item! I use them for napkins too...
NoWasteLauren NoWasteLauren

Re: Everyday cloth napkins

It is awesome if you can make your own but without any sewing skills, I decided to buy cloth napkins. They have saved endless amounts of trash and all I have to do is wash them on warm after several uses. I got mine off of Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008TKXOW4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00
~Lauren~

Re: Everyday cloth napkins

I lucked out and found about 10 in thrift store which I converted to kleenix use. On another occasion I found 2 different sized stacks of napkins for using a dinner table. I like Bea's idea kf having unique napkin ring for each person, so that's on my list now.
Karen Karen

Re: Everyday cloth napkins

Bandanas are also great to wrap presents. I recently had a no waste, plastic free baby shower. I found soap at the health store (just a bit of paper on it) and I used the bandana to make it like a cloth diaper fold (look up on internet: folding flat diapers) and wrapped it around the soap (& a few other gifts) and then used baby pins to secure. Looked very cute! I have used them as well for Birthdays and found at the craft store ribbon to use. You must read very carefully to know what the ribbon is made out of! Enjoy!

Re: Everyday cloth napkins

@Karen I love this  idea with bandanas. :)  I gave only a  couple of  Xmas gifts this year,  they were Mason  jars filled with tricolor quinoa for one friend (she was asking about quinoa) with  a recipe card attached, and for another friend some bulk blueberry  granola. I wrapped each jar in a flour sack towel and tied them up with kitchen twine.

This forum is great for getting creative ideas on reusing stuff!   :)  Ribbons also make great bookmarks. (I still  buy and own books but also use the library a lot!)