Dry Shampoo?

Has anyone else tried using cornstarch or other types of dry shampoo to extend the time between hair washes? I can't seem to get it to work for me. I end up with a powdery, grayish cast to my dark-colored hair, like I'm auditioning for the Bride of Frankenstein;) Any tips on how to get the dry shampoo to work correctly? Thanks for your help!
MTNgirl MTNgirl

Re: Dry Shampoo?

Sandra, I haven't tried it but I did read somewhere to use cocoa powder instead of cornstarch because of the white/gray effect.

Re: Dry Shampoo?

Thanks for the tip, MTNgirl.  I'll give the cocoa powder a try. An added bonus will be the chocolate scent it leaves behind;)
Katie Katie

Re: Dry Shampoo?

Hey Sandra, I use pure cornstarch as a dry shampoo every other day. I keep it in a dispenser with small holes on the top. I use a small plastic brush (only for this purpose) that I shake the cornstarch on and brush into my hair. It's a lot easier than just trying to rub it in with my hands, though I usually do this a bit after using the brush (both methods sort of work it in differently). I've tried using my regular wooden/animal bristle brush for this, but it just gets loaded up with the cornstarch and it's difficult to rinse out-thus this small plastic/rubber one works well. Not sure about the coloring though! I have ashy, light brown hair, and I do get a bit of a haze if I don't blend well but otherwise I'm fine. I'm not sure about dark hair though!

Re: Dry Shampoo?

Thanks for this info, Katie. I was wondering if I was applying it correctly. I've been using a shaker dispenser, too, and rubbing the cornstarch in with my hands. I like your brush idea; it sounds less messy than what I've been doing and would likely do a better job of removing the powder from my hair.

Re: Dry Shampoo?

I've been trying out something else instead the dry shampoo, and it seems to be working out. It's a sea salt spray that I make using 1 Tbs coarse sea salt dissolved in 2 oz. of warm water. Put it in spray bottle and spritz throughout the hair. It controls the oiliness and adds some texture to my fine hair without the powdery residue problem I had with cornstarch.

Re: Dry Shampoo?

Sandra --

My baby fine hair thanks you -- I am definitely trying this! :)