Dr Bronners: please advise

nina nina

Dr Bronners: please advise

Following recommendation I bought a litre bottle of Dr Bronners castile soap online: not cheap here in the UK.

Does anyone have any recommendations about use: (there's nothing on the("interesting!") label to advise me)

How much do you dilute it for different jobs? What have you used it for successfully?
I tried for dishwashing, but in our hardkitchen water just got scum on the top.
Hand washing was good, and I shampooed with it..(we have a water softener for other taps) But I'm not sure I will buy more unless it can prove itself. Up until now I have used 'Faith in Nature' for me  and 'ecover' for the dishes...
Constance Constance

Re: Dr Bronners: please advise

This is from the Dr. Bronners Website: http://www.drbronner.com/faqs_main.php

What are the uses and dilutions for your soap?

Although the label claims eighteen uses, we do not have the space to write all these uses on the label and still accommodate for my grandfather’s philosophy, as well as the new labeling laws that are periodically implemented. In reality, there are far more than eighteen uses, as people constantly write in to tell us about yet another utility of the soap. We won’t detail them all, but below are some of the major uses and dilutions.

For everyday body-washing: Get wet and pour soap full-strength onto hands-washcloth-loofah. Lather up, scrub down, rinse off, and tingle fresh and clean.

For other uses, dilute from one part soap into 40 parts water for light cleaning, to cutting it in half or using it full strength for heavy-duty grease-cutting jobs.

For shampoo, people have been telling us for years that they like using our soaps to shampoo their hair. Now, paired with our new Citrus Conditioning Rinse and Organic Leave-In Conditioning Crème, it works better than ever. For details, click here.

For the laundry, use 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup for one regular load; adjust as needed depending on hardness of water. I've been told that adding a dash of baking soda makes it even better.
For pets, lather up well and apply to their body. Be careful to keep the soap and the lather away from their eyes. I find a mixture of peppermint and eucalyptus works best.

For toothbrushing, apply a drop or two of Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soap (I prefer the peppermint) to a wet toothbrush. Brush as you normally would, rinsing accordingly. Be careful about using more than a couple drops of soap, as you might start foaming at the mouth (last time I checked "rabid chic" was not hip). Many people with sensitive or softer teeth like to use our soap as toothpaste because it lacks abrasives.

If you're very interested in specific ratios & uses, you could find the book "Clean House, Clean Planet" by Karen Logan and published in 1996 by Pocket Books division of Simon & Schuster. They give a blurb on how individual consumers can place orders by writing to Mail Order Department, Simon & Schuster Inc., 200 Old Tappan Road, Old Tappan, NJ 07675. She presents hundreds of great ideas and manners to clean the non-toxic way, which gives rise for many examples that use an all-natural liquid soap like Dr. Bronner's.

I personally use 1 part Dr. Bronners peppermint soap and 2 parts water to make toothsoap, you only need a few drops per brushing.

I also use 1 part Dr. Bronners Lavender (or whatever you choose) soap with 2 parts wather in a soap dispenser that has a foaming pump.

Good luck and enjoy!
Constance
nina nina

Re: Dr Bronners: please advise

Many thanks Constance..   I'm not sure I'm brave enough for toothbrushing with it, but I'll try some of your other suggestions!
Bettina Bettina

Re: Dr Bronners: please advise

I just did the same :-)

Have you found an option to refill the bottle? The label is so crowded (and in my case a mixture of German and English) but somewhere is the hint to refill the bottle instead of buying a new one. But noone seems to offer this opportunity here (Switzerland). What about UK?
Hanh Hanh

Re: Dr Bronners: please advise

I am looking to make 1 gallon of Dr. Bonner's liquid soap using this recipe from Bea's book.

LIQUID SOAP
1.5 cup of grated soap
1 gallon of water water

DIRECTIONS
1) Let soak over night.
2) Blend with immersion blender.
3) Transfer to 1 gallon container.

I have a bar of Dr. Bonner's castile soap.
http://bit.ly/1cFC7F7

Will this grate to 1.5 cup of grated soap or do I need to buy another bar?

Per others' suggestion that you don't need to grade it but just set it aside and let it dissolve in water by itself, does this work well?

I am considering...
1) putting the bar in a glass bowl (Purex container) with warm water
2) putting the bowl on my radiator (it's winter here in Chicago and my radiator is in full force) and having it slowly melt the bar
3) adding the "concentrate" of Dr. Bonner's into a little less than a gallon of water.

Do you think this will work?

Thanks so much!