Donating a vehicle -- questions....

Stacia Stacia

Donating a vehicle -- questions....

We have a vehicle that needs repairs & we are ready to move on to a more fuel-efficient model. However, this vehicle is still relatively new (only 118K miles) & we were wondering if there is an organization out there that takes vehicles, repairs them, & then donates them to those who might need a vehicle. My ds is beside himself at the thought of it just going to scrap metal & I think there could still be usable life in it for somebody, but we don't want to undertake the expense of the repairs.

Ideas????

Thanks!

Re: Donating a vehicle -- questions....

Depends on where you live. We donated a van to the American Cancer Society, who contracts with a local hauling/fixit service, in memory of my Mom. Win/Win situation. They got a vehicle to auction, probably "as is", and we got a tax write-off as well as the hope that *maybe* it'd help put $ towards research.
In the "old days" high school shop classes loved getting vehicles to work on, then sell/donate. Don't know about fixing and giving to someone in need these days. Maybe a local shop or organization (VFW, Blue Star Mothers, etc) knows of a wounded vet or a soldier's family who could use a car.
Call around...
BTW, Most charitable organizations don't require a car be in working condition.