Dog waste

Janette Janette

Dog waste

What's the best way to get rid of dog waste? We are producing so little trash, we have canceled our trash service (yay)! I was picking up the dog waste once a week and putting it in the trash (about one Wal-Mart plastic bag full), and I will no longer be able to do that. What should I do differently now? Can I put it in the toilet, or is there a better way? We have two large dogs.

Re: Dog waste

This post was updated on .
Depending on your situation, check out either the Doggie Dooley or this, which uses your sewage system but allows you to not to have to bring anything inside. We've used both, and the latter is working well for us. Pick up and dispose more often so don't overwhelm system.

There's several YouTube videos showing how to install either. You can also make your own version of the Doggie Dooley. Lots of internet information on "how to". We tried vermiculture, but didn't work  -probably something we didn't do right.
Janette Janette

Re: Dog waste

You cannot compost it, correct? I thought I read that it's unhealthy to compost waste from carnivores.

Your tips sound promising!

On Dec 22, 2012 9:54 AM, "Jay [via Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Depending on your situation, check out either the Doggie Dooley or this, which uses your sewage system but allows you to not to have to bring anything inside. We've used both, and the latter is working well for us.

There's several YouTube videos showing how to install either. You can also make your own version of the Doggie Dooley. Lots of internet information on "how to". We tried vermiculture, but didn't work  -probably something we didn't do right.

http://forum.994912.n3.nabble.com/Dog-waste-tp4025163p4025164.html
To unsubscribe from Dog waste, click here.
NAML

Re: Dog waste

I wouldn't, but some do as long as not using compost for food crops.

Best tip with either is to dispose smaller amounts at a time (for us, 2 dogs = clean the yard once, twice a day) so you don't overwhelm the system. Access to water is important for both, too. We use a bucket.
Anonymous Anonymous

Re: Dog waste

I have a very small dog as I live in an apartment in the city. We use receipts or junk mail to pick up poop outside and then put it in the public trash cans. And we also have a dog litter box, which makes our little dog as convenient as a cat if we need to stay out late occasionally. He used to use pee pads, but its way too wasteful, so we got a Ugodog for him to pee in, which is a plastic grate in a low plastic tray which we rinse out with hot water. If he is desperate, our dog will poop on the Ugodog as well and we just flush it down the toilet. (We checked and its ok to do that in our area.) we tried to use a litter box with recycled newspaper litter at first, but he ate it. :-(
Janette Janette

Re: Dog waste

Great ideas for a small dog! Our dogs are large, so I don't think these things will work for us. I plan to get a doggie dooley as soon as we can afford it.

http://forum.994912.n3.nabble.com/Dog-waste-tp4025163p4025723.html

Janette
Clare Clare

Re: Dog waste

I have a medium sized dog that I must take on walks as we do not have a fenced yard.  I can't use a piece of paper or shovel to lift the poop as I cannot dispose of it in the trash that way and I'd have to carry it around in the shovel or on the paper during the walk.  That doesn't work for me.  I'm thinking recycled bags? Or any other ideas?  Are there any that biodegrade in a short time maybe?
Reed Reed

Re: Dog waste

Hi Clare,
A former poster named Wrennerd had a great suggestion.  She uses a silicone container with a lid to pick up the poo.  Then she flushes it.
We tried the Doggie Doolie, it was OK, but involved multiple items and a little plastic waste.  Wrennerd’s idea was so nice and simple.  I found a nice metal tin at Goodwill (50 cents) and use it to pick up the poo when we go for walks.  I usually need to use the bathroom by the time we get home anyway, so we share a flush.  Works well for us :)
Janette Janette

I love this suggestion! What do you use to actually pick it up to put it in the container? Toilet paper?

A former poster named Wrennerd had a great suggestion.  She uses a silicone container with a lid to pick up the poo.  Then she flushes it.
We tried the Doggie Doolie, it was OK, but involved multiple items and a little plastic waste.  Wrennerd’s idea was so nice and simple.  I found a nice metal tin at Goodwill (50 cents) and use it to pick up the poo when we go for walks.  I usually need to use the bathroom by the time we get home anyway, so we share a flush.  Works well for us :)

http://forum.994912.n3.nabble.com/Dog-waste-tp4025163p4026450.html
To unsubscribe from Dog waste, click here.
NAML
Reed Reed

RE: Dog waste

We just use the container itself to just scoop it in.  A stick or TP would probably work too.  Our little guy usually has nice solid stools (never thought I'd be saying that online!) so it's pretty easy.  I do have to wash the container out regularly, but the garden hose does a nice, hands-free job.
Janette Janette

Re: Dog waste

It's a little more challenging with large dogs!

http://forum.994912.n3.nabble.com/Dog-waste-tp4025163p4026452.html
To unsubscribe from Dog waste, click here.
NAML

Janette
Reed Reed

Re: Dog waste

Yeah!  :)
Barbara Barbara

Re: Dog waste

I have 2 beagles, and they are very productive. I have composted the waste for years. I DO NOT use it on the garden at all. I use a large plastic flower container with large holes on the bottom. I think a tree was sold in it. Then, I alternate layers of waste and small yard waste, such as leaves, grass clipping, or woodchips. I keep the container covered with a lid or another container. When it is full, I let it sit for a week or two, and start a new one. Then, I dump it out behind the garage. Composting creates much less stink than putting the waste in a trash bin, especially in the summer.

Here is a link to the compost research at University of Florida: http://sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/compost-info/tutorial/dog-waste.shtml
Janette Janette

Thank you; that's great info! How do you manage when you take them for a walk or other places away from home? What do you use to pick up the poop?