Cutting boards

Janessa Janessa

Cutting boards

I recently decided to switch from plastic cutting boards to wooden cutting boards. I was able to get some bamboo ones at Home Goods for a reasonable price. But I know I need to treat them with food grade mineral oil. Any ideas where or how to get it in bulk or at least not in plastic?

Re: Cutting boards

If you will not be prepping food for anyone with a nut allergy, consider Walnut Oil instead. That, for sure, you can get in a glass bottle.
Janessa Janessa

Re: Cutting boards

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I do sometimes cook for people with nut allergies and it's always better to be safe than sorry. I've also read that you shouldn't use any food oils since they can go rancid, though I've also read walnut takes longer to do this. Any other ideas friends?

Re: Cutting boards

I had always heard the same as you regarding food oils, but apparently many think Walnut oil is the one exception. However it's a nonstarter since you cook for folks with nut allergies. Oh well.

Re: Cutting boards

Hi, Janessa. I asked a similar question in this thread in the "Kitchen" folder (http://forum.994912.n3.nabble.com/Care-for-Wood-Cutting-Boards-tp3543696p3543696.html) and someone suggested rubbing beeswax directly on the board. I gave it a try, with mixed results. I eventually purchased a mineral oil/beewax mix in a tin. Hope this helps.
Janessa Janessa

Re: Cutting boards

Thanks! I saw that today and almost got it, but everything I could find online really only suggested it for hard woods and not really for bamboo. Hopefully the large bottle I got at WIlliams and Sonoma - in plastic :( will last a looooong time as a little does indeed go a long way. But then I started thinking that it's a petroleum based product and that made me depressed. But what can you do but compromise on this one.

Re: Cutting boards

Hi, Janessa. I've been using the Beekeeper's Gold in a tin on my bamboo cutting board and it has worked out fine, as far as I can tell. I checked the instructions and it doesn't mention anything about not using it on bamboo. I wonder why the information online suggested otherwise.
lucilestein lucilestein

Re: Cutting boards

I have never used bamboo cutting board in my life and  prefer to use  granite counter top  slab directly for cutting which is easy to clean ,requires less maintenance and are durable also .