Crockpot yogurt...easy!

CMD CMD

Crockpot yogurt...easy!

My first attempt at yogurt on the stovetop failed miserably. I used ultra-pasturized milk, which was one of the problems. I found out you after you should use pasturized for good results. But I found success when I followed this recipe: http://blogs.howstuffworks.com/2010/06/01/i-made-half-a-gallon-of-greek-yogurt-this-weekend-talk-about-cheap-and-easy-and-tasty/

My only adjustments:
1. I brought the temp up to 180, not at 195. It took my crockpot about 2 hrs 45 min to reach this temp.
2. I did not use an ice water bath. I just removed the pot from the heating device and placed it on the stove. At about 1 hr 30 minutes it was at 100 (if it's too hot, it could kill the live cultures in the starter yogurt). For that same 1 1/2 hrs, I had my oven on the lowest temp possible it would allow (170) to get it warm to incubate.
3. I kept the pot in the oven for 10 hrs. But I think it could have stayed in another 2 to 4 hrs and more whey would have come out.
4. Did not do the "Greek" step of straining, but just regular yogurt after overnight refrigeration.

Cheap, light, and good. And minimal on waste!
countrylady2002 countrylady2002

Re: Crockpot yogurt...easy!

Check out 365 days of crockpot cooking for a super easy homemade receipe of yogurt.  I started making homemade yogurt apx. 3 months ago and love it!
AMY AMY

Re: Crockpot yogurt...easy!

Thanks so much for sharing this!!!

Re: Crockpot yogurt...easy!

Thanks for the homemade yogurt idea! I've been wanting to try my hand at homemade yogurt for a while but did not have access to a crockpot. I made a couple of adjustments to the recipe so that it could be made without special appliances (I think it's slightly more energy efficient, too).

Here's a variation of the recipe I used (no crockpot necessary):

1) Gently simmer whole milk in a pan over med-low heat on the stove, stirring frequently to prevent the milk from burning. I don't have a thermometer, so I heated the milk until I started to see steam rise over the pan. This should take about 5-7 minutes to heat up 4 cups of milk on a gas stove.

2) Remove the warmed milk from the heat, and let it cool until it is no longer steaming and is slightly warm to the touch. While the milk is cooling, prepare a large pot of warm water. The pot should be large enough for the pan of warmed milk to fit inside. (Or if you want to store the yogurt in glass jars, warm the pot of water with the empty glass jars inside.)

3) When the warmed milk has cooled, add one tablespoon of yogurt starter (or plain yogurt) to every 4 cups of milk. Stir well until starter/yogurt is dissolved. Place the pan of milk in the pot of warm water (or transfer the milk into the glass jars, and place the jars in the pot of warm water). Put the pan/pot combo in a pre-warmed oven (heat to 104 degrees, then turn the oven off), and let it sit for at least 24 hours. You will get a firm, mild-tasting yogurt with this method.