Creating waste by replacing

Lisette Lisette

Creating waste by replacing

Hy Bea I was wondering how you went about decluttering and replacing plastics by environmentally friendly products. I want to get ridd of all the plastics in Our home but by throwing it away do i not create à lot of waste? Is it not beter to use it up frist?

Lisette

Re: Creating waste by replacing

I realize that  this is directed at Bea, but I have some thoughts on this.  I am going through the same process at my house, and I think that there is no single answer for all household plastics. All of the plastic in my home has already been made and purchased.  I've made shopping choices I can't in-do, but the question is now, do I keep these plastics in my home, in my living space, for use by myself and my children, do I donate them for reuse by others, or do I send them to be recycled or incinerated by waste management?   When it comes to issues of food safety, I have decided to recycle our numbered plastic food and beverage containers right away.  Our county waste management takes all numbered plastics.  I thought about donating them, but I don't really like the thought of anybody's children eating, drinking, and cooking  with plastics.  When toxicity is a much milder concern, I think I will donate my plastics.  For example, if I donate my plastic pencil boxes to the thrift shop, it might prevent a shopper from buying a new one, decreasing the demand for such items.  Meanwhile I can replace it with a home sewn pencil pouch made from an old pair of jeans.  Other items I will hold onto and use for the rest of their lifetime and replace with better items eventually.  It won't really help the environment for me to throw away a plastic toilet brush that I've already purchased and used.  It doesn't touch my food.  Nobody will want to buy it at a thrift shop.  I'll go ahead and use it until its time to replace it.
Bettina Bettina

Re: Creating waste by replacing

I'm on a quite similar page of music than Trish is (althoug I'm not Bea as well ...).

When I define something as clutter it must go. Thrift store, donation, selling ...  as long it is in working condition.
Making something waste that is still OK hurts me and I feel it's worse to make something waste that still could be used than making it waste after its typical lifetime.
When something needs replacement I look for a better solution.
Oliiive Oliiive

Re: Creating waste by replacing

Decluttering is nice indeed but give in place of waste. Those things can always be used again.
For my point of view it is better to do it step by step, when an object is no more usable, just replace it by a more durable solution.
Susan Susan

Re: Creating waste by replacing

I also took the same approach as Trish. I recycled or donated most of our plastic food storage containers. Other plastic I keep if I am using it, but donate if not. And I won't buy more plastic if I have a good alternative.
NoWasteLauren NoWasteLauren

Re: Creating waste by replacing

Some people get really motivated and purge/pair down quickly. It's good to do this with books and clothing because you rarely miss what you donate. However, with food products, cleaning products, make-up products, etc., I think it's fine to use up what you have and meanwhile, research alternatives. After I finish my last few Q-tips, I won't replace them. When I run out of face powder, I will switch to organic cocoa powder and corn starch (for shininess,/oil). I already use those occasionally and like them.

If you already own a food or hygiene product, resources have already been used to make it and purchase it. While you finish it up, you have time to research your other options. Bea herself was excited to run out of band-aids because she was sure once they ran out, they wouldn't need them any more. She was right!

Good luck on your journey!
~Lauren~
SublimeT SublimeT

Re: Creating waste by replacing

I agree that zero waste includes using up what you already have or giving it to someone whom will use it.

My issue with that book is the flippant disregard for where the items go. Please do take a moment and read Beas book for the best place to donate dispose and recycle items such as a women's shelter for cell phones and clothing rather than just throwing things away!

Also I would try arrowroot powder instead of cornstarch since corn is gmo. Enjoy living the life!

Also if you need to convince any Tweens to live this way, the videos on trash is for toasters may help getting the message across. Although I have high hopes for Max as well to vlog after seeing his adorable lunch video. What an inspiration!! Xoxo

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 17, 2015, at 7:03 PM, AFWife_nowaste [via Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Some people get really motivated and purge/pair down quickly. It's good to do this with books and clothing because you rarely miss what you donate. However, with food products, cleaning products, make-up products, etc., I think it's fine to use up what you have and meanwhile, research alternatives. After I finish my last few Q-tips, I won't replace them. When I run out of face powder, I will switch to organic cocoa powder and corn starch (for shininess,/oil). I already use those occasionally and like them.

If you already own a food or hygiene product, resources have already been used to make it and purchase it. While you finish it up, you have time to research your other options. Bea herself was excited to run out of band-aids because she was sure once they ran out, they wouldn't need them any more. She was right!

Good luck on your journey!

http://forum.994912.n3.nabble.com/Creating-waste-by-replacing-tp4025458p4026432.html
To start a new topic under De-Cluttering, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Forum, click here.
NAML

Re: Creating waste by replacing

I think rather than a direct 1 for 1 replacement, first consider if there exists a true need (this functions as reducing). If you still have a need, then start sourcing within your home first for things that can be repurposed. If nothing there then look at your recycling bin, then relatives and thrift stores for something to reuse and is durably constructed (glass, steel, stone or of materials which will decompose in time: wood,  non-petroleum based fabrics). Still can't find it and definitely need it? Then locate a durable non-petroleum based item which is brand new. Even there, look to support local manufacturers or businesses