Cowspiracy

Tia Tia

Cowspiracy

Please every one watch cowspiracy. Going vegan is indeed the largest way to reduce your footprint.
Help spread the news and keep up the great work.
LadyLocust LadyLocust

Re: Cowspiracy

I have watched it and was dismayed that he only provided half truths and skewed information.  Please be aware that many of the topics he discusses and information he provides is based solely on CAFOs (which I am opposed to.)  He neglected to mention the pros that not only beef but many animals provide to the environment.  Animals raised in CAFOs are not fed a natural diet and therefor are not in the same category as grass-fed animals.  He was on a mission and has an agenda.  Veganism is neither natural nor healthy for humans.  I would encourage you to research the difference between grain-fed and grass-fed nutrition and environmentalism.  The waste from naturally fed animals (not just cattle as he targeted) is actually quite beneficial to our earth.  This is why many gardeners apply it to their soil every year.  Most people don't want to go through the 'work' involved to source local, grass-fed animals.  They prefer to go to a drive through.  Also, the doctor he interviewed at the end was also referring to CAFO raised animals.  Since the animals are not eating a natural diet, they have to be fed antibiotics to keep them "healthy" as well as hormones to promote growth and/or milk production.  Again not the case with naturally fed animals.  I try to specify animals because chicken and pork are in the same category.  Chickens are not vegetarians so when you see that their diet is such on an egg carton, you can be assured that those are sick eggs.  Grains are government subsidized so of course they are going to continue to promote them as good animal feed and human feed even though such a large portion of them are GMO products.  Mono-crops continually treated w/ toxic substances to grow GMO products that in turn rape the soil of its existing nutrients are just as much an environmental factor as CAFOs.  I don't have all the answers as to how to feed our earth's growing population, but this one documentary was not a whole picture of what is happening.  Of course if you want to be vegan because you don't like the thought of eating an animal that is completely different, but I wouldn't use this source as your reason.  A further resource "Folks This ain't Normal" by Joel Salatin.  Weather or not you agree with his politics, it is a good account of the natural environmental circle.
Meaning no offense, only to help see the whole picture.

Re: Cowspiracy

The data are clear from multiple studies regarding the enviro impact of raising livestock for food.  Becoming a vegan is  the single largest change people can make in their lives to combat climate change and arrest not only global impacts but local impacts.  Raising animals is one of the most significant sources of NO, CH4,  and CO2, which are the three largest contributors to climate change. A staggering 51% of global greenhouse gases is  caused by animal agriculture.

If that doesn't sway you, we know a lot more about animal sentience than we once did. It goes without saying that central nervous systems, nerve endings, and brains by definition assure sensitivity to pain regardless of where the animal sits in the "food chain."  Does it even need to be said that behavioral skills and information processing also take place for animals to survive in their complex ecosystems?

If you're concerned about the land issue with a plant based diet, a vegan diet is preferable to an animal based one, since the vast majority of grains and legumes raised today are used as feed for cattle. By eating vegetables directly, rather than eating animals such as cows, who must consume 16 pounds of vegetation in order to convert them into 1 pound of flesh, one is saving many more plants’ lives (and destroying less land and using less water).

Then of course there are the health impacts.  We have six decades of data indicating that saturated fats found in animal products raise cholesterol levels and contribute to heart disease. We have three decades of data indicating a diet containing animals causes not only heart disease, but cancer, diabetes, obesity and the related problems of  metabolic syndrome associated with obesity,  We have three decades of data indicating that a plant based diet actually REVERSES heart disease and arterial damage.  We also have two decades of data indicating that plant oils, even olive oil, cause endothelial damage which directly leads to plaque  deposits on the arterial walls.  And finally the latest research is indicating that a high protein diet such as those found when one consumes animals, increases IGF-1 levels, which will impact cancer rates.  Some studies have looked at animal protein without the fat on board and determined that IGF-1 levels still rose, meaning ingesting animal protein even without the saturated fat with it was detrimental and damaging.  Plant based proteins do not have  the same impact on IGF-1 levels as animal proteins.

The best thing you could do for not only your own personal health but the health of the planet is to eat a variety of fruits, veggies, beans, and grains. Avoid processed oils like olive oil etc.  These are processed foods with high calorie density and are 100% fat with no redeeming nutritional value. If you want to add fat to your diet and you're not overweight, then eat fats found in a whole nutritional package, such as nuts or avocado. At least you'll be getting fiber and other nutrients on board with the fat.

Becoming a vegan is the single largest step anybody can take to combat climate change, deforestation, save water,  express  compassion for non-human sentient beings, improve your lipid profile and other markers for degenerative diseases,  and prevent heart disease which is still the #1 killer of men and women in the imperialist core.

I understand, however, that many many people (are you one?) just do not want to hear  bad news about their bad habits.

Janis Janis

Re: Cowspiracy

Well said. I couldn't agree more. Adopting a more plant-based diet as well as curbing consumerism are crucial in preserving all of our natural resources. This is especially true as other countries adopt the "standard American lifestyle" and global populations continue to grow exponentially. Gotta love the motto, Live Simply So Others Can Simply Live. We all need to make these connections if we have any chance of conserving our finite resources before it's too late to.
Thanks for representing coldswim.
Other videos I'd recommend:
101 Reasons to Go Vegan (although not all are mentioned, still great info.) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-F8whzJfJY
Earthlings on earthlings.com with is another great movie but be warned it the reveals the cold hard truth of how most humans are currently treating animals on this planet. This is what we need to face and change. It's time to evolve our consciousness and expand our compassion to include all sentient beings.
Also the movie DIRT is life changing. It sounds dull but trust me you will never look at dirt the same way again. The movie does an amazing job of emphasizing the importance of the health of our topsoil and microbes to the health of all living organisms on the planet in a fun and completely entertaining way.
Stephanie Stephanie

Re: Cowspiracy

Vegucated is an interesting film. It is sort of a reality tv 'what happens when' film but with encouragement to find out about what's happening in your area. Worth watching :)

Stephanie