Cookware

Donna Guenther Donna Guenther

Cookware

What kind of cookware do you use?
Dr Mercola has ceramic cookware that I am thinking about ordering from his website.
His cookware does not have all the non stick chemicals that can leak into your food.
Annie37 Annie37

Re: Cookware

Lodge cast iron  skillet, Le Creuset enameled cast iron french oven, All Clad stainless steel skillet,  Cuisinart Chef's Classic Stainless 8-Quart Stock Pot, carbon steel 14 in flat bottom wok plus a couple of clad stainless steel saucepans and you should never need to buy another pan.

Re: Cookware

The Lodge cast iron skillet, Le Creuset dutch oven, and All-Clad stainless steel saute pans are my picks, too. Once you've seasoned it properly, cast iron also forms a nice, non-stick surface without the added chemicals.

If you were wondering what kind of cookware the ZWH uses, I think Bea recently posted some of her picks in the "Store" section of the blog. Does anyone else use Global knives? What kind of knife sharpener would you recommend?

Marmitout multifunction pan for minimalist kitchen

I was recently remembering fondly a pan I used to have with high sides that doubled as a sauce or frying pan, and I set about trying to find a replacement. (It was discarded due to scratched nonstick coating, which I am now trying to avoid.) The closest shape I can find is a deep saute pan, but in the process of researching the options, I found this new option called a marmitout that might actually be better, since it is both a saucepan and frying pan/lid. (The US websites all call it a "multifunction" pan.) I bought the 3.75 quart option, although there is also a 2 quart option. I must say it is a little larger than I anticipated, and quite heavy, but it is my first Le Creuset piece and has inspired a massive clearout of previous pans. (I'm putting them in another room for a year to see if I ever need to go back and reclaim any of them.) The especially nice thing about it is that both pieces can also go in the oven, so it could potentially replace several baking dishes as well. (Sorry about the sideways photos!)
as saucepan with lid
as sauce and frying pan

http://cookware.lecreuset.com/cookware/category_Multi-pots_10151_-1_20002_10032
The Le Creuset website links to the websites that sell both versions, so I'd start there and follow the links to the version you want... It is difficult to locate on all of the websites, so be persistent! Although I am too much of a foodie to get rid of all my other pots at the present time, if I were downsizing to, say, an RV, this is the one I'd keep...

Re: Marmitout multifunction pan for minimalist kitchen

Ah, Le Creuset. Smart choice! I have a similar piece, but should have gotten the more functional marmitout that you have. The size is perfect for most casseroles, and if you have a multi-step recipe (e.g, brown meat, cook veggies, cook pasta, make sauce, heat in oven ...) you can do all in the same pot! Definitely big enough for roasting most cuts of meat, though some would criticize the high sides....
I did discover, with mine, that the lid also fits the LC skillet I have :-)

Re: Marmitout multifunction pan for minimalist kitchen

Jay, how funny that you say that! I was wondering if I had made the right choice and whether the deep skillet would be better (I like the pour spouts on it). But I kept telling myself this was really two pans in one, so I'm grateful for your confirmation. Still, I don't think anyone cold go wrong with either of these pans as their central (or only) piece -- the possibilities are endless! It is definitely the most I have ever spent on a pan, but I'm hoping it will see a lifetime of use (or several!)

The French certainly know good cookware!

Re: Marmitout multifunction pan for minimalist kitchen

My Le Creuset will outlast me, for sure! Only precautions I know of are: it is possible to scratch, so careful with metal spoons, whisks; the interior finish can get stained (whatever!); and very, very heavy when full. I still use, once a week or so, a large round LC French Oven that's at least 30 years old, ... getting kinda ugly, but works great, is virtually nonstick, etc.

Re: Marmitout multifunction pan for minimalist kitchen

Ooh, great choice, Wrennerd! I love Le Creuset (especially in the blue colors), and the multifunctional pan/saucier lid is a really nice feature. I like how there is no plastic handle or knob so you can put both pieces under the broiler, too. I have a LC dutch oven and use wooden spoons/spatulas with it exclusively to avoid scratching the enamel surface. Berard makes a line of olive wood utensils that are both durable and beautiful to use. For stubborn stains, I soak the pan for a couple minutes with some lemon juice and it lifts right off.

Re: Marmitout multifunction pan for minimalist kitchen

Oops, update on this: I ended up returning the 4 qt marmitout for a 2 qt, and getting the deep covered skillet like Jay's. It is now the skillet I use most often (nearly always, actually).

Thanks for the lemon juice tip, Sandra -- it is currently soaking as I type -- will add some lemon! One other tip I've found useful: I've become a firm believer in adding hot water to a pan as soon as I've finished cooking!

Re: Marmitout multifunction pan for minimalist kitchen

Yes, adding hot water to the pot as soon as you are done cooking is a great tip!