Contamination

Melissa Melissa

Contamination

Hi, I had a question about using mason jars when shopping for raw meats and fish. I was watching a YouTube video where Bèa was shopping at whole foods and the guy behind the counter put chicken in a jar and continued to touch the outside of the jar after he had handled the chicken (same thing at the fish counter)... Now am I just being overly germaphobic or does it matter that you would then proceed to handle the meat jar, put it with your other groceries and continue shopping and touching other foods?
SublimeT SublimeT

Re: Contamination

I would assume everything in a grocery store could potentially have bacteria on it. Especially since everything goes on the belt at checkout and I have never seen that being cleaned off.

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 3, 2015, at 9:44 AM, Melissa [via Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi, I had a question about using mason jars when shopping for raw meats and fish. I was watching a YouTube video where Bèa was shopping at whole foods and the guy behind the counter put chicken in a jar and continued to touch the outside of the jar after he had handled the chicken (same thing at the fish counter)... Now am I just being overly germaphobic or does it matter that you would then proceed to handle the meat jar, put it with your other groceries and continue shopping and touching other foods?

http://forum.994912.n3.nabble.com/Contamination-tp4026467.html
To start a new topic under Shopping (incl. Bulk Food Locations), email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Forum, click here.
NAML

Re: Contamination

I have the same issue, and though we're getting less and less meat, I am always concerned about contamination at the meat counter. I just assume that the butcher's hands/gloves have touched raw meat, so if they handle the outside of my container - I try to not let that happen, but not always successful- I segregate the container in it's own bag that I'll wash at home as well as washing off the outside of the container.
Since I put price stickers on an old envelope, I don't even send the jar through checkout, rather just show them the envelope….
There is truth to there being a level of contamination for all products particularly at checkout, so if I'm purchasing something that won't get washed or cooked (bulk treats!) I put them in solid bags to protect them until I get home. I don't worry about cleaning the outside of all the jars I might bring, though :)