Composting in an Apartment complex...

Adrienne W Adrienne W

Composting in an Apartment complex...

Hi there!

I have been making the changes to live a zero waste lifestyle, but there is one big question I have!  How do I compost in an apartment complex that 1. has limited balcony space and 2. doesn't have a green bin? Any suggestions?

Thank you!!

Re: Composting in an Apartment complex...

Check out Vermicomposting or Bokashi. Both are easy to do within an apartment.

Some Farmers' Markets collect food scraps. Also, some locally owned produce markets *might* be willing to add your veggie scraps to theirs. Finally, some community gardens will allow you to add to their compost bins.

Bokashi excepted, don't add dairy or meat!

Re: Composting in an Apartment complex...

Talk to the complex management about getting green bins. Call the local waste management facility.  Does your city even collect green waste/compost in separate bins? Where do residents leave green waste like lawn clippings and tree branches?  Does your city/town even pick those up?  Does your city have an ordinance about green waste pick-up in bins? If so, your apartment complex would be required to provide those bins to the residents.

It shouldn't be a pain in the butt to compost. In fact, muncipalities should be providing the composting bins free of charge. In San Francisco, the city provides you with a compost bin at no charge. We're at 80% diversion from landfill, though. S.F. is pretty serious about it. LOL.
Keen Keen

Re: Composting in an Apartment complex...

Bokashi is great, and it gives you a liquid fertilizer to use until it's all cured.

BUT - and I found this out the hard way - is that once the bokashi bin is full, it doesn't turn into usable compost on its own. It has to be shoveled out into the ground, in a bin with dirt, or into another traditional compost pile before it can be used.