Compostable plastic bags???

I hope this isn't already covered elsewhere...part rant/part question:

My county has decided to accept organics for composting (yay)!

It will only accept your materials inside a special composting plastic bag. Which I believe really only biodegrades NOT truly decomposes. (Ugh)!

Do any other locales do same?
Would you garden with that resulting compost?
Am I alone in thinking BOGUS???

Please chime in with your thoughts...we will be moving and probably won't have the convenience of our own bin. As plant based/whole food eating vegans my kitchen generates a substantial amount of organic waste which won't be going away, so I need to find a viable option.

https://www.ramseycounty.us/residents/recycling-waste/organic-waste

Re: Compostable plastic bags???

This article may or may not make you feel better. If the county is providing the bags, you should do your due diligence re: compostable vs "degradable". That'd be terrible if they're not truly compostable, and no I wouldn't use the resulting compost. BPI is the right logo, though.

We have curbside pickup and use BioBags -not required by the city, but for our sanity- and are totally OK with them. What's great about Biobags is the ability to contain odors and goo while waiting to be filled up, and then while waiting for pickup in the larger curbside bin (we set out about every two weeks as that's about how long I'd trust them before breaking down and making a mess).
Good luck :/

Also, locally they ask us not to put so-called compostable plastics in the green bin...

Re: Compostable plastic bags???

I find we can do without much composting.

I save my fruit and veggie scraps and egg shells and some yard waste for neighborhood goats and chickens.   I sprinkle used loose leaf tea in the grass.  Stale bread feeds the birds.

Avocado skins and pits and banana peels are really the only things we can't find another purpose for.  You can dig a hole and bury them and let the worms take care of it under ground, or make a worm bin.
Edward Charette Edward Charette

Re: Compostable plastic bags???

Since you are moving you are left with no other option than compostible bags. But almost all cities provide you with composting bin. Thats what I guess. Yes it is very good to use the compost from organic waste in your garden. Like it is said in this article http://www.redbins.ca/3-ways-get-rid-organic-waste/, organic wastes are biodegradable which when directly buried in landfill with rest of the refuse releases methane gas which is quite dangerous. So leave every thing in your composting bin it will recycle your organic waste. This organic waste makes soil richer with nutrients and maintains the moisture level.