Clothes wearing out too fast

Hi everyone,

I know that in her posts Bea has said that she only shops in April and October, and that all members of her family can fit aloof their clothes in a suit case.

I have drastically reduced my wardrobe to a winter capsule wardrobe ans a summer capsule wardrobe consisting of14 garments for each season for every day wear, plus shoes and accessories and so forth.  The problem is that I am wearing my clothes out, and have spent the last month or so of each season looking pretty shabby.

Anyone have any tips for making clothes last longer?  My main problems are pilling, thinning, or "sad" looking fabric, and small holes in the fabric (not at seams, or i would sew them shut), and greying blacks.  Here are the things I'm already doing:
Changing out of work clothes into yoga pants and a sweat shirt or tank top  when I get home from work
Wearing clothes 2-3 times before washing
Wearing undershirts
Washing in cold water with mild detergent
Line drying when weather is nice
Hanging darks in the shade so the sun won't cause fading
 Sewing on buttons, repairing unraveled seams
Choosing dark colors so white won't get grayish and stains don't show as much
De-pilling ( sometimes snagging The fabric, though)

I'm hesitant bout indoor line drying year round because moisture and mold can be a problem in our house.  Any help,or suggestions?

Re: Clothes wearing out too fast

Whoops!  All of their clothes, I mean.
Vintage Princess Vintage Princess

Re: Clothes wearing out too fast

Hi Trish

I would recommend researching detergent on the EWG (Environmental Working Group) site to see if you could find a safer detergent. Like 7th Generation. That might help. You could also maybe use those bra bags or make them yourself or tie clothes in pillow cases to protect them. Or wash by hand.

I am a huge fane of Bea and I don't want to detract from her message in any way. The thing is, I believe she actually has a degree in fashion design. Therefore her understanding of fibers and construction may be beyond the average consumers. So she may select clothing that would wear better. She is also European, and may wash the clothes less.

Bea doesn't seem to work outside the home and her lifestyle is to cafe for a family of four in the mild weather of central Cali. So I imagine if your weather conditions are harsher and you don't wear antiperspirant, you would need to was more often than her.

Also, I find that when I stopped dry cleaning and started throwing everything in the washer on cold even with line drying, my clothes don't hold up as well either. I am far less attached to the clothes though since I realize I can go get an outfit for $5 - $10 at an incredibly amazing goodwill a block away.
trish trish

Re: Clothes wearing out too fast

The bra bag is a great idea!  I do live in a cold winter/hot summer climate-- which is why I like my sweaters, but they just don't hold up very well.  Maybe it is time to look for alternatives to sweaters, like vests or blazers, or something that can be made of more durable fabric and washed rarely.
tobyarchdall tobyarchdall

Re: Clothes wearing out too fast

Hi, according to me clothes should last longer if it is of good quality and also do not wash your clothes frequently. I love to wear kaftans and  the designs of camilla kaftans online are awesome. Have a look at it.
Catherine Catherine

Re: Clothes wearing out too fast

Do you turn clothes inside out when washing? That really helps with preventing pilling and fading. Also, don't tumble dry anything you don't want to fade and don't line dry darks or brights in the the sun - they will fade quickly.
Catherine Catherine

Re: Clothes wearing out too fast

If you're doing your best and your clothes are still wearing out too quickly, maybe you just need to add one more shopping trip per year. No need to feel bad about the way you look! Everyone needs to do what works for them.
SublimeT SublimeT

Re: Clothes wearing out too fast

I think that Bea has a fashion background and chooses more durable fabrics. I hang a lot of items to dry and turn darks and jeans inside out always to prevent fading. I also wash delicate items by hand.

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 6:14 PM, Catherine [via Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
If you're doing your best and your clothes are still wearing out too quickly, maybe you just need to add one more shopping trip per year. No need to feel bad about the way you look! Everyone needs to do what works for them.

http://forum.994912.n3.nabble.com/Clothes-wearing-out-too-fast-tp4026034p4026477.html
To start a new topic under Bedrooms (incl. wardrobes), email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Forum, click here.
NAML

--
Tabitha Kostka