Closet Cleaning

Elliot_Anne Elliot_Anne

Closet Cleaning

WOW I've accumulated a lot of clothing! I have stuff in here that I haven't worn since middle school! (I mean, yea, I'm only 21, but still that's 8-10 years back, and it's stuff that doesn't even FIT anymore!)

I started by writing down all of the different kinds of clothes that I had (i.e. Bottoms: jeans, shorts, skirts; Tops: blouses, t shirts, tanks, etc). I figure if I do laundry once a week, I'll need about 7-8 outfits, and jeans and jackets can be worn more than once.

Here's my new closet!

Pants:
        Jeans: 3 pair (2 normal, 1 nice jeans)
        Skirts: 1 (black white polka dot flowy)
        Shorts: 1 (Jean)
        "Dress" Pants: 3 pair (1 gray jean, 1 gray plaid, 1 black dickies)
Tops:
        T-shirts: 1 (Superman)
        Tanks: 8 (1 gray, 2 blue, 1 purple, 1 red, 1 black pattern, 1 black, 1 white)
        Blouses: 3 (Red sexy, Green, Black w/ silver trim)
Dresses:
        Summer: 3 (1 vintage, 1 black zebra, 1 black/white)
        Nice: 3 (1 sexy, 1 40's vintage-looking, 1 red/black)
Shoes: 1 walking/running, 1 all-around, 2 heels (1 brown, 1 black), 1 boot, 1 slipper
Socks: 9 pair (8 pair same color/brand, 1 pair knee-high thick)
Undies: 8 pair
Bras: 3 (1 everyday, 2 lacy)
Bathing Suits:
        Tops: 2 (1 camo, 1 black/white/red)
        Bottoms: 2 (1 matching camo, 1 board shorts)
Jackets:
        Cool: 3 Sweaters (Black, Black Stripe, Purple/Gray Stripe), 1 dressy jacket
        Cold: 1 Bomber
        Freezing: 1 Pea Coat
PJs:
        Bottoms: 2 (1 Paisley, 1 Peace Sign)
        Tops: 2 (1 blue long-sleeve, 1 brown long-sleeve)

And I'm pretty sure that's all I'm going to need! I'm really excited! Plus I have so many clothes to give away. I mean, I had an entire drawer of shorts that I haven't worn since high school just sitting there. And an entire drawer of socks I was too lazy to bother matching. I feel so relieved to get rid of all of the overwhelming claustrophobia-inducing clothing! This is a good feeling. Now I just have to convince Sean to pare down his stuff too...

Re: Closet Cleaning

Great job! How is it going after 8 weeks? Any lessons to share? Any adjustments you've made?
Elliot_Anne Elliot_Anne

Re: Closet Cleaning

It's actually going really well! 8 weeks in, and I still haven't touched anything in the "donate" pile (I was waiting to get rid of it until the guinea pig rescue I work for decided on their charity yard sale date, which is actually this weekend! So excited to have the storage space back!).

I guess the one thing that made this REALLY easy for me is that I live in Southern California (and on the coast, too!), so even in the winter, I really only need to throw a light sweater or maybe a heavier jacket over my shirt at night. If I lived in a different part of the country (or even a different part of the state) my wardrobe would probably also have some heavier clothes and layering ability, but here I just don't need it.

I decided to clean out my closet "in the middle of winter" here, and as we transition to spring, and then to summer, I can still see myself wearing the same clothes I kept with no issues. Sure, it was nice before to be able to have a variety to chose from, but in all honesty, I've never been a dressy type of girl anyway. I always wore what was comfortable and easy, and my wardrobe now reflects that perfectly. No excess clothing anymore! HURRAY! (Now if only I could convince the man to do the same with HIS wardrobe...)

Re: Closet Cleaning

Congrats!
stella stella

Re: Closet Cleaning

I came up with a really good idea.  First, let me say  that I use 2 small closets-one in my bedroom and the other in the guest room.  I took a lot of clothes to Salvation Army and then assessed what was left.  I decided to put together several, outfits, including everyday and church.   The rest of the clothes I put in the spare room.  So, now when I'm getting dressed I just grab an outfit without any thought.  When the clothes I've worn are all put in the wash. I will  put together several new outfits from the guest room.  Once washed, the ones that I've worn will be hung is guest room to be made into new outfits the following week.  I guess you can call it "rotating" my clothes.  Also, if an outfit isn't worn, I will separate the pieces, put them in the guest room and if the next time they are used to make an outfit and I don't wear them they will go to Salvation Army.  This is working great so far!