Classroom Party Kit?

Tsuni Tsuni

Classroom Party Kit?

Hello- I am trying to source items to create a classroom party kit for our school to eliminate parents bringing one-use utensils, plates and cups. I have been sourcing stainless steel through Target and various restaurant supply distributors, but it is a pretty daunting task budget wise without compromising sustainability of a good stainless steel grade (don't want to buy something cheap and then it rusts and gets tossed down the road). Also plates... you can't have ceramic, teachers don't want them to break and a student gets cut and parents don't want the heavy load to carry to the car or the responsibility of breaking one and having to replace. So I am left to look at a heavy duty "plastic"? Ehhhh... don't want to do that either. Any suggestions? I have concerned the compostable plates and utensils they have at Whole Foods, but our waste plant confirmed the utensils are too thick and actually don't breakdown within 180 days, so they eventually are removed and sent to landfill assuming their is some plastic in them... So what to do? Any advice, suggestions or have you done this successfully at your school? Thank you!

Re: Classroom Party Kit?

I would thrift for silverware to say money.  Just look for markings to ensure quality.

Then I'd buy a matching set of melamine plates that stack nicely.  Is melamine ideal?  no.  Is it practical? yes.  At this point you should go for practical or your idea may never get off the ground and the disposables will come back.

Then I;d get a few dish pans for storage and collecting the dirty dishes and for washing them.  I don't understand why parents would be carrying them to their car... couldn't they just be washed and stored and used in the classroom???