Castile soap

Abigail S. Abigail S.

Castile soap

Hello,
I was just wondering where you could buy castile soap (to make body soap, shampoo, etc). I know that I can purchase it in plastic bottles, but that defeats the whole point. I talked to a person at my local Whole Foods in Columbus, Ohio and they said that the refilling your own shampoo/conditioner had been discontinued. Would you just order the soap online or is there another option? Thank you!
sunflowermama sunflowermama

Re: Castile soap

I was also wondering the same thing.
noodlez89 noodlez89

Re: Castile soap

You could check out your local food co-op or natural foods store. I live in Urbana,IL and I've recently started refilling lotion and dishwashing soap at a co-op. They definitely had Castile soap in a variety of scents. I also had no problems with me using my own containers. I hope you find a place!
Cameron Cameron

Re: Castile soap

For those of you in San Diego County, California, Dr. Bronner's is based out of Escondido.  You can refill your containers at their offices and they will also give you $2.00 off.  They just started doing this again, so please use this resource if it's available to you, so they will continue this program.  They stopped it previously, because there wasn't enough interest and something about it taking too much time to change the container out for a different fragrances.  I've spent some time bugging them to restart the program.  I thought that it was ridiculous that they are based out of southern California, but they are not available in bulk here.  OB People's Food Store carries them in bulk, but it's just 1 gallon containers to refill your container, which isn't bulk.

Re: Castile soap

If you are still having difficulty locating the liquid castile soap in bulk, another option you could try is to purchase the solid bar soap version of Dr. Bronner's. It is packaged in a paper wrapper, and I have seen it available at Whole Foods in the soap aisle. To incorporate the soap into recipes like the all-purpose cleaner, you would do what Bea suggested with Marseille soap and grate the soap and mix it in with some hot water, before adding it to the other ingredients. I haven't personally tried castile soap as a shampoo or body cleanser, so unfortunately I won't be able to tell you if the bar soap works the same way as the liquid form for this purpose.
Karin Karin

Re: Castile soap

Thanks for the tip, Cameron! I live in San Diego.
ecoliciousMama ecoliciousMama

Re: Castile soap

i buy both bar wrappped in paper and liq (32oz) in plastic from my wholesale co-op. ive gotten bars on the cheap at Trader Joes, too.
i use the d.b. eucalyptus liq during allergies rises in my kids bath.
i use d.b. tea tree liq in my front loader, to keep the black mold down.

years ago, i recvd a tiny cheese grater at my brothers wedding, as a parting favor, which works perfect for shaving some Dr. B peppermint bar into my laundry. that bar has lasted a looong time! my son is still in cloth dipes at night. i use a sack of several soap nuts in every load, and add what i need for what is soiled. sometimes baking soda, sometimes ECOS, vinegar at times.

hub and i use the tea tree bar in our shower.

our whole foods does not opt for refilling shampoos.

Karen Karen

Re: Castile soap

You can buy the Dr. Bronner Peppermint only at Costco. You don't have to be a member, just give cash to a friend to buy you a prepaid Costco and then go shop at Costco for the amount on the card. (or ask your friend to buy it for you!) I have some and did use it on the dog. She feels a little oily, not sure what t do about that. In the shower, it's a bit powerful with the peppermint so be careful.

Re: Castile soap

I found that Costco currently has lowest price for large bottle of D.B. Peppermint than either Trader Joes or Target. Not a refillable option like at our co-op but if you needed a container, there you go! $9.95