Buying/Freezing large quantities of meat

Janessa Janessa

Buying/Freezing large quantities of meat

Hi all - Recently moved to Wyoming and my food cost has doubled! Partly because my doctor has me on a very meat focused diet, and the other because I'm not willing to compromise on antibiotic use, etc... I'm investigating purchasing a large order at Whole Foods in Salt Lake City when I have to travel there next month and freezing it. However, a lot of the meats I'm interested in do not fit in my jars!

Any thoughts for whole chickens, pork roasts or ribs? I've tried to find larger glass or stainless steel containers but without luck. And these items are not easily located here, except at high cost and with lots of packaging. It seems like either compromising my morals or my pocket book, but I'm stubborn enough to sacrifice neither, so I figured you all might help!

Thanks!
Erin Erin

Re: Buying/Freezing large quantities of meat

Hi Janessa,

I just posted a very similar question in the shopping forum. We get a beef share every month straight from our farmer but it comes in individually wrapped plastic. The beef is great - 100% grass-fed and finished (and organic, of course.) It's also very affordable this way to feed our family of six.

Have you ever looked to buy directly from a farmer? This could save you a lot of money. Try http://www.eatwild.com/ - you can search for farms near you, or try finding your local chapter of the Weston A. Price Foundation - they'll help you find a farmer who sells a variety of meats (and dairy, fermented foods, etc.)

We (my husband, 13 year old daughter and myself) got our hunting licenses last year and with the abundance of deer and squirrel in these parts, we might not need to buy meat during the fall/winter (and, we can control the packaging!) Just a thought...