Bulk Food Sources: East Bay, Northern CA

Bulk Food Sources: East Bay, Northern CA

This post was updated on .
Just today discovered that the El Cerrito Natural Grocery Store has apple cider vinegar, olive oil, and Tamari in bulk, as well as the more typical selections. You can BYOB and have them tared, or purchase glass or plastic containers from them. The meat counter, though small, seems to have a nice selection and they're OK with bringing your own containers.
Yay! Onwards....

Re: Bulk Food Sources: East Bay, Northern CA

i found out today that this store is planning on discontinuing bulk Tamari. I spoke with the buyer and he said not enough interest... goes bad [but] if there's a spike in demand, they may continue. ARGH!
Really tasty, as well as bulk, so if you're an East Bayer, go get some! Only place locally that sells it, as far as I know.

Re: Bulk Food Sources: East Bay, Northern CA

As an example, and for those in the East Bay: found out that Monterey Market will fill your own bottle with their orange juice, as long as it's clearly quart or gallon sized. Just had to ask instead of assuming.
Also, anyone have a current East Bay source for bulk Tamari/Soy Sauce?

Re: Bulk Food Sources: East Bay, Northern CA

Amphora Nueva not only carries olive oils, balsamic vinegars, wine vinegars, infused olive oils (e.g., chipotle olive oil) but also walnut and sesame oil -all bulk. Small storefront with huge selection, not cheap, free parking in back on Sundays.
At Home At Home

Re: Bulk Food Sources: East Bay, Northern CA

No way! I wish I had known this when I lived there. I shopped there once a week when I lived a few blocks down the street. Sadly I moved farther away. It makes finding bulk a little more difficult.

Bulk Wine

Urbano Cellars Winery, Berkeley: Haven't tasted yet, but they have a house red and a house white wine in refillable growler. Limited hours.

Re: Bulk Food Sources: East Bay, Northern CA

New Sprouts in Oakland. Not friendly to BYOB, but there probably is a work around (reuse theirs). Bulk pretty decent, with some unusual choices of spices: Taco seasoning, Five Spice, BBQ seasoning, Pumpkin Pie spice, Pickling spice, dried Cilantro, Alfalfa Seeds (think sprouts!). Salad bar also fairly complete, but again their containers….

Still looking for soy sauce/Tamari in bulk, East Bay; also, laundry detergents. Rainbow, Green11 seem closest so far.

Re: Bulk Food Sources: East Bay, Northern CA

Food Mill on MacArthur has bulk laundry detergent. Never bought it so don't know if it's unscented or scented. I only use unscented. You can't buy the Seventh Gen stuff in a box?

Tamari and soy sauce are high in sodium, so I avoid.

Driving all over the place to buy these products seems like it defeats the purpose.   I live within walking distance of the Green11 on 24 Street but would rather buy stuff at Rainbow since it's worker-owned. Green11 is a little too hipster for me. Sprouts is a union buster I think. So it's a no-go for me.

Re: Bulk Food Sources: East Bay, Northern CA

The Cheese Board (on Shattuck) in Berkeley not only has an incredible cheese selection which they'll gladly put in your container, they also have a great bakery with fresh every day offerings (e.g.,sour dough english muffins!) plus specific week day specials such as pita bread…. They also have delicious vegetarian pizzas -no plastic "tables", simple cardboard box. Not sure you could use your own container for them, but worth asking. They're a 40+ year old co-op.

BTW, I haven't a smartphone so anyone who can, fill free to upload info to the BULK app.

Re: Bulk Food Sources: East Bay, Northern CA

Just discovered The Cheese Board is part of a larger cooperative of 6 bakeries in the Bay Area, so some of the same baked goods, pizzas are available at all of them. Everything offered is baked on site. I think the cheese counter is unique to the Cheese Board.

Tofu Yu RECALL!

Argh!! El Cerrito Nat Grocery and Berkeley Nat Grocery bulk tofu is from them, lots other Co-Ops in NorCal as well. Not sure Berkeley Bowl's source.
All is now gone from shelves, but the inspection was in October. I wouldn't have known any problem, except that I asked a manager if they had any bulk tofu "in the back", and she told me everything from them had been recalled <sigh>:

Link to FDA letter, click thru at bottom to response from company. Ugh!

Re: Bulk Food Sources: East Bay, Northern CA

This is really specific to parts of Alameda County: There's a new business that's delivering bulk based laundry/dish/body soaps & detergents. So far seems to be a one woman enterprise, but here's hoping her business, Fillgood.co will succeed, expand.

Re: Bulk Food Sources: East Bay, Northern CA

Awesome! Berkeley Bowl West has Kombucha ON TAP!!

BTW, please -someone- add to the BULK app. Thanx