Building A Zero Waste Wardrobe

Papapooj Papapooj

Building A Zero Waste Wardrobe

Hey guys,

Just wanted to know if there are any zero-waste apparel companies I should be aware of? A few of my favorite pieces are now simply holding on by a thread, and I think it's time to retire a few of my tried and trues. Basics are something I'm not comfortable purchasing second hand. I found an amazing company where I purchase my go-to t-shirts. They're 100% upcycled and SUPER comfortable http://www.supergreentees.com/collections/the-shirts Would love to hear about any zero-waste active wear and under garment companies for females. Thank you!

Re: Building A Zero Waste Wardrobe

This post was updated on .
That company looks like a soft imperialist NGO.  The signs? They're investing in microcredit loans for locals in exploited countries. That's a bad sign. They're also "investing" in education in these countries. What kind of "education?"  It usually means they're shoveling money to privatization companies that either attempt to privatize local schools, or at the very least will result in defunding public schools as students/adults are channeled away from public facilities. These corporations usually have mouthpieces that cut shady deals with local politicians and governments to make conditions favorable for their profit making ventures - changing land use policy, changing environmental laws, exploiting the local populations. The CEO's C.V. reads like a  neoliberal capitalist nightmare  - he was a lackey of Shrub during the Bush admin and was once an exec at Time Warner.

I can't back this company, sorry.  :(  The  fetishization of capitalism doesn't result in "better" capitalism. The peasants/proletariat they're using to make their products are still exploited. They're investing in projects in these countries that are likely detrimental to the local people and conditions, by definition - any corporation has as their bottom line profits for the shareholders. And the CEO's history looks very  shady.

Imperialists have all kinds of ways of undermining the exploited core without calling attention to what they are doing. . Certainly wouldn't surprise me if making "green" products as a front for their back end activities was one of those ways.  They can appeal to bourgeoise guilt while funding their damaging policies.  The microcredit loan scandals have  been reported extensively. The one in India, backed by billionnaires and shady nonprofit NGOs like this one resulted in high rates of suicides of  Indians who were unable to pay back the loans. The bulk of the money these corporations make gets shoveled away from the focused country, it doesn't stay there. That's a tenet of neoliberal capitalism. Making profits for international banks and financiers.

Is there a specific reason you can't buy used shirts? I'm not challenging you, just wondering what the resistance or reason is?  There are aspects of ZW I never thought I could do - in my mind! Once I wrapped my mind around it, looked at the evidence, and began engaging in the specific action or behavior - I was fine.  There are also ways of buying new clothes  without contributing to known  capitalist NGOs. :)

If I need to buy new products, I make sure they are made in China. At least I know I'm supporting the Chinese Communist Party by doing so. The Party has 90 million members and the bulk of them are urban proletariat.  Good luck in your search!

Re: Building A Zero Waste Wardrobe

I didn't check the website you linked to, but quickly wanted to post what I think is a brilliant idea:
On Etsy there's a shop that recycles t-shirts to make undies. I haven't gotten any of their goods, but if I needed something I would give them a try…
BTW, a general search on Etsy unfortunately will bring up some pretty *out there* stuff, so be prepared if you choose to do a search.

Elsewhere on the forum I think there are a few posts of companies which are trying to push towards ZW (e.g., minimizing scrap fabric, etc), but it's a difficult concept for mass factory production.
SublimeT SublimeT

Re: Building A Zero Waste Wardrobe

I have found second hand nike, lucy and lululemon in LA thrift stores. For lingerie I prefer to go new and prefer Agent Provocateur. I think that Patagonia is pretty responsible for the entire lifecycle of their products if you insist on buying new workout wear.

On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 11:49 AM, Jay [via Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I didn't check the website you linked to, but quickly wanted to post what I think is a brilliant idea:
On Etsy there's a shop that recycles t-shirts to make undies. I haven't gotten any of their goods, but if I needed something I would give them a try…
BTW, a general search on Etsy unfortunately will bring up some pretty *out there* stuff, so be prepared if you choose to do a search.

Elsewhere on the forum I think there are a few posts of companies which are trying to push towards ZW (e.g., minimizing scrap fabric, etc), but it's a difficult concept for mass factory production.

http://forum.994912.n3.nabble.com/Building-A-Zero-Waste-Wardrobe-tp4026638p4026640.html
To start a new topic under Bedrooms (incl. wardrobes), email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Forum, click here.
NAML

--
Tabitha Kostka