Breath mints, anyone?

I was cleaning my purse the other day and found an accumulation of breath mint containers, realized this was not ZW, and started wondering about making my own.

At a restaurant in England one time, I was served handmade breath mints, so I tried to recreate those. Here's what I used:
* 1/2 c. sugar
* 1 T peppermint flavor (came from WF -- it is peppermint oil with sunflower oil)
* 2 T room temp butter
Combine until it holds together, then roll into a very narrow log (I rolled it in a silicone baking sheet rather than wax paper) and freeze. Slice into small mints. Store in freezer.

Since it requires freezing so it doesn't melt, it's obviously not a portable mint. Does anyone have a portable alternative? I am wondering if I should also add some corn starch?

Re: Breath mints, anyone?

Not exactly, but Parsley started out as a breath freshener, hence the little stalk placed on your plate.

You can also make hard drop candies using a Simple Syrup and add whatever flavoring you want: peppermint, cloves, etc. Those you can carry with you, and last a long time in your mouth if you can refrain from eating! They should do the job. They also sooth sore throats. You DO have to keep totally dry.

Here's a classic for lemon drops:
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Lemon-Drops

When I would get hard candies at a local Dunkard store, they were dusted in a fine sugar (not powdered, though; my version would be to pulse sugar in FP) and potentially lasted a really long time since humidity didn't make them stick together.

Oh, also some recommend simply a drop of oil of cloves on your tongue.

Those soft little mints you made are called butter mints, and your recipe seems right. You could double check proportions with online recipes; also some require kneading/stretching and then claim can store at room temp -after an initial drying period.

Re: Breath mints, anyone?

Not a breath mint, but aiming for the fresh breath aspect...

Do you use a copper tongue scraper?

Ever since I started using mine every single morning, most of my breath issues have gone by the wayside. (Illness is a different matter, of course.) My old plastic tongue cleaner didn't do the job properly.

Drinking plenty of water also helps. A squeeze of lemon is delightful. Add a spring of mint, if you like. MMMmmm... I grow lemon verbena without pesticides and my DD loves to put one leaf in her water bottle for the school day. She does it for taste, but I notice it eliminates stale breath. I make tea with fresh peppermint leaves and lemon verbena leaves... MMMMmmmm... tastes great and gives pleasant-smelling breath.

You could also make a breath spray and put it in a little spritzer bottle for your purse. Water, 1-2 drops of peppermint essential oil, and a few drops of 80-100 proof vodka (to preserve it). You can skip the vodka and use it up quicker. I make room sprays all the time without the alcohol (just water and essential oils) and they last a month or longer without getting icky things growing in them. Shake well before each use to disperse the EO. The advantage of using the vodka is it is a medium for the EOs along with a preservative. The disadvantage is alcohol is drying. Maintaining hydration helps maintain fresh breath (along with lots of other health-related things).

Avoiding sugar and all it's insidious relatives also prevents the germs that cause bad breath from surviving in your mouth. Those germs feed on simple starches/sugars and multiply... Gargle with a glass of water and a splash of ACV to return your mouth to an inhospitable home to germs.

I just drink water after each meal. My mouth is slightly alkaline every time I use the litmus paper. I don't know the exact connection between alkalinity and fresh breath, but I know it exists...

Re: Breath mints, anyone?

All good suggestions -- I hadn't really thought about alternatives. I will try a few of them. I didn't realize lemon drops were so easy -- might try to make a minty lemon drop! :)

Re: Breath mints, anyone?

I am researching some homemade products and came across a "sweet breath seed mix" you might be interested in...

From Healing Home Spa by Valerie Gennari Cooksley:

1 part anise seed
1 part fennel seed
1 part caraway seed

Mix and leave in an open dish (at home or office, for example) or small glass jar (for your purse, for exmple). Chew on the seed mix instead of candy after eating to aid in digestion and to neutralize breath odor.

In addition to ideas I mentioned above (water after every meal; scrape tongue daily; fresh lemon juice in water, etc), she also mentions aloe vera juice, bee propolis, sesame oil, chlorophyll, tumeric, calendula, and more.

I'm making a mouthwash for general hygiene purposes (for my Lorrina bottle! LOL). Valerie's recipe for "Kiss Me Mouthwash":

1 t raw honey or sage honey (salvia officinalis steeped in raw honey - directions elsewhere in book)
2 drops peppermint essential oil
2 drops spearmint essential oil
1 drop anise seed essential oil
1 t fresh lemon juice
1 C warmed distilled water or sage herbal tea

I'll be adapting it based on which essential oils I own and her list of other EOs that aid in digestion and erase bad breath: nutmeg, rosemary, spearmint, lemon, and more in this section.

Just thought I'd share...

Re: Breath mints, anyone?

I ended up making four batches of mouthwash today. I like all of them, thank goodness!

My DD (age 10), however, was rather hard to please. Turns out, she likes altoid-strong peppermint mouthwash!!!

I used glass bottles for each 1-cup batch and labeled them with masking tape (already have it). Now that I know what we each like, it'll go faster. I wrote the exact recipes (pretty simple) on each bottle! LOL

Re: Breath mints, anyone?

I'm definitely trying the seeds! :)

Re: Breath mints, anyone?

Thanks for posting the seeds mix recipe. I simplified and just used fennel seeds, storing them in a little glass vial I got at the Container Store. The fennel seeds leave a pleasant anise flavor in your mouth. I like that it freshens breath without the added sugar. Great idea!