Bought green instead of white stevia for toothpowder...oops

noodlez89 noodlez89

Bought green instead of white stevia for toothpowder...oops

Can I still use green stevia powder to make my own toothpowder? I think I can but should I modify Bea's recipe? If yes, how? All I know is that the green is less sweet than the white as it's made of the whole plant...

Re: Bought green instead of white stevia for toothpowder...oops

Noodlez -- I think you will be fine -- just add more stevia if it's not sweet enough for your taste. I used up some (pre-ZW) Splenda packets for mine, and added spearmint essential oil. The baking soda does the work; the rest is just for taste...

Re: Bought green instead of white stevia for toothpowder...oops

I was hoping I could get some advice from those of you who regularly use toothpowder to brush your teeth.

I'm a little nervous about making the switch from toothpaste to toothpowder. I've been scared by the stories about enamel wear and increased tooth sensitivity. I've also been so used to brushing with a fluoride toothpaste that I'm worried about what will happen if I stop using fluoride (I'm imagining the bacteria in my mouth cheering as they munch away at my teeth;) ). I'm curious to hear what others have experienced after making the switch. Are my concerns unfounded? I really like how the gum stimulator (Bea's suggestion as an alternative to floss) is working, so I'm hoping the toothpowder will be another hit.

Re: Bought green instead of white stevia for toothpowder...oops

I am curious to hear from a different group, as well. I have read about experiences in a different forum and it seems that many love not using toothpaste.

I switched from fluoride toothpaste (mainstream brands) to fluoride-free toothpaste many years ago. We have quite a few tubes right now, but I have looked at ways to make my own and found a recipe I like the sounds of. I'll make a test batch once I have enough arrowroot powder to make more than a teaspoon of the toothpaste.

As for fluoride-free, my 10 year old DD has never used toothpaste with fluoride. She brushes twice a day and flosses once a day (night) and uses a copper tongue scraper once a day (morning). She drinks mostly water and eats healthier than the average American kid. She has very healthy teeth and gums. Every dentist comments on her excellent dental health. Zero cavities, zero issues.

Re: Bought green instead of white stevia for toothpowder...oops

This post was updated on .
FWIW, one of my kids had gaggy issues with toothpaste, so we asked our dentist if one needed to use toothpaste. His answer was no, as long as receiving fluoride treatments as recommended. Its the brushing that's important. That and flossing (or the equivalent). Over 20 now, and never a cavity, etc.
OneHotMomma OneHotMomma

Re: Bought green instead of white stevia for toothpowder...oops

I have been using Bea's recipe for a while now.  I love it.  It doesn't foam like regular toothpaste but it does keep my teeth and mouth clean.

I have the understanding that flouride is toxic to the human body.  It poses a risk to the brain, bones, kidneys, thryroid . . . See http://www.fluoridealert.org/fluoride-facts.htm.

I read on another forum about a non flouride mouthwash (lemon essential oil is good for any mouth sores or irritations)  "I used 3 spoonfuls of xylitol and 3 drops lemon EO to 1 cup of water. They suggest only distilled or reverse osmossis water since you're letting it sit in a jar and not using it up right away.

You can use other EO's instead if you prefer like mint, etc. or no EO's at all."
MTNgirl MTNgirl

Re: Bought green instead of white stevia for toothpowder...oops

I use corn starch and baking soda in my tooth powder to "soften" it.  I brush too hard as a habit.

I added xylitol for cavity prevention.

Re: Bought green instead of white stevia for toothpowder...oops

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! Where can I buy the xylitol for the mouthwash/toothpowder recipes? I like the suggestion of using cornstarch to cut the abrasiveness of the baking soda. I have some leftover rice flour on hand. I wonder if that will work, too.

Karin, where did you purchase the copper tongue scraper? I've only seen plastic ones at the stores in my area.

What kind of dispenser do you keep the toothpowder in? I haven't found anything like the spice jar that Bea uses. I tried out one of my old spice jars and it seemed to shake more powder into the sink than onto my toothbrush.

Thanks again for your help!
MTNgirl MTNgirl

Re: Bought green instead of white stevia for toothpowder...oops

We purchase xylitol in bulk at our natural foods store.  Otherwise, look in the sugar aisle at your store.

I am using a salt shaker for mine with the extra holes covered in tape (waste down the road), and it goes into the sink more.  I have my eyes peeled for a better container wherever I go; all I have seen is a gigantic sugar shaker.  I will probably end making the uncovered hole bigger.
OneHotMomma OneHotMomma

Re: Bought green instead of white stevia for toothpowder...oops

I've been using a 4 oz mason jar and just dipping my brush in after it's wet from the sink.  Seems to be working okay for now with no waste but it is a bit of a pain sometimes.  Still looking.

Re: Bought green instead of white stevia for toothpowder...oops

Tooth powder used to be fairly common, and typically one could just sprinkle a bit into your hand, then dip a wet brush in the powder, and go from there. Given the ingredients of HM versions, maybe the excess falling in the sink could just become sink scrubber???? A bit weird, but ....

Stevia/Xylitol  ?for sweetening?

Re: Bought green instead of white stevia for toothpowder...oops

I have to chime in in favor of the sugar shaker (see the one I use in the photos discussion in this forum). It dispenses a measured plop of powder (about a teaspoon) (it doesn't pour, because the center tube goes way down into the jar), so as long as my brush is wet and located in the path of the falling powder, it catches most of it. There is no need for shaking; usually one "dose" loads up my brush.

Re: Bought green instead of white stevia for toothpowder...oops

Sandra - I purchased herbodent toothpaste, several copper tongue scrapers, several stainless steel neti pots, grass yoga mat, and a couple other things from a company in India (via internet) a few years ago (4-5 years ago now...wow). I do not recall the name of the site off the top of my head, but yoga and/or health is in the name. Very easy to do business with and very pleasant shopping experience and follow-up experiences. Maybe google copper tongue scraper?

Re: Bought green instead of white stevia for toothpowder...oops

Wrennerd, where did you purchase that neat sugar shaker/toothpowder dispenser? Sounds like it works great, and the container is pretty, too. Might try either the tape method or shaking the powder into my hand, in the meantime. Thanks to all for your suggestions!

And, thanks for the tip on how to track down the tongue scraper. I may also look into one of the Indian supermarkets in my area to see if they carry it.

Re: Bought green instead of white stevia for toothpowder...oops

Ikea. :)

Re: Bought green instead of white stevia for toothpowder...oops

Thanks, Wrennerd! I'll have to drop by Ikea and check it out.
MTNgirl MTNgirl

Re: Bought green instead of white stevia for toothpowder...oops

I tried pouring a little powder in my hand this morning!  Worked like a charm!  Who knew?!

Re: Bought green instead of white stevia for toothpowder...oops

Just saw a sad story about a dog who was poisoned by getting into some xylitol [gum]. Would highly recommend anyone with a dog choose something else. One of many articles about the problem:
http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/toxicology/qt/xylitol_tox.htm
There are also multiple stories on the 'net about dogs who have eaten xylitol....
MTNgirl MTNgirl

Re: Bought green instead of white stevia for toothpowder...oops

I read an article recently that said xylitol is not as natural as it is advertised to be.  It still goes through chemical processing.  Sigh...  Our dog died unexpectedly a month ago so we don't need to worry about her.  But I wonder if it affects cats?

Re: Bought green instead of white stevia for toothpowder...oops

Regarding cats: scanned an interview with an ASPCA guy, and there were few cases and most mild. The inference from the discussion was that it could just be that cats don't scarf indiscriminately the way dogs do :-)) ....