Bottom feeder

A few years ago a friend of mine called me a "bottom feeder".  It kind of hurt my feelings at the time.  He was making this little jab when I was showing him some garage sale finds, and hand-me-downs that I was furnishing my apartment with.  Most of my belongings were either purchased used or given to me by friends and family, and I'm sure that's not to shocking to anyone on this forum, but to this friend it seemed shameful.

Since I have read Bea's blog and made a commitment to aim for zero waste, my "bottom feeding" has reached new depths.  Yesterday I found myself soaking and sun bleaching some old yellowed crocheted potholders from my great grandma's stash ( they look great now, by the way).  I've started buying clothes for my son with holes, unravelling seams, etc. from the thrift store clearence section and mending them myself ( my son looks as handsome and well dressed as any other toddler--lol!) and I have started buying the misshapen produce that others reject but I'd hate to see go to waste ( it tastes the same).

You know bottom feeders are very important members of a healthy ecosystem, and I'm kind of filling my niche with pride.  Anyway,I'm glad to have found a community of like-minded people.   Thanks for sharing your tips and your journey to zero waste!
MaggieO MaggieO

Re: Bottom feeder

Hurrah fellow "bottom feeder."  I was thinking the same thing about myself the other day.  While I am probably at the other end of the age "spectrum" from you, circumstances later in life gave me a push from being a frugal momma to enjoying the adventure of being a super-frugal grandma. It certainly takes a lot more creativity and will power.
SublimeT SublimeT

Re: Bottom feeder

Have the person that used the term bottom feeder read this...
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/08/29/luxury-is-just-another-weakness/
Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 24, 2015, at 1:12 PM, MaggieO [via Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hurrah fellow "bottom feeder."  I was thinking the same thing about myself the other day.  While I am probably at the other end of the age "spectrum" from you, circumstances later in life gave me a push from being a frugal momma to enjoying the adventure of being a super-frugal grandma. It certainly takes a lot more creativity and will power.

http://forum.994912.n3.nabble.com/Bottom-feeder-tp4025973p4026261.html
To start a new topic under General Community Sharing (Thoughts, Art, Links, Challenges, Cities/Regions, etc.), email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Forum, click here.
NAML
SublimeT SublimeT