Block Oil?

Catherine Catherine

Block Oil?

Hi everyone,

Do any of you have suggestions for an oil to use for our bamboo cutting boards? Previously, we used block oil, sold in plastic bottles. That is definitely not zero waste, so I've been looking for a bulk oil I can use. It seems that using most oils won't work, as they will go rancid and make the block smell (based on my research so far.)

Does anyone have a suggestion based on experience with this? What bulk oil can I use to oil my cutting boards? They are getting pretty dry and I don't want them to start cracking.

Thanks so much for your support.
anon anon

Re: Block Oil?

Mineral oil
Reed Reed

Re: Block Oil?

The mineral oil should be "food grade mineral oil."  You might be able to buy a small amount from a local butcher.  My butcher said that he'd sell me a little of his, but I haven't taken him up on it yet.  I was prepared to give him way too much money for it too, just as a nice extra way to say thank you.
Reed Reed

Re: Block Oil?

Ran across this post on home made “wood butter.”  She uses it for wooden utensils, but I wondered if you might be able to use it for cutting boards too?

http://thebeautyinsimple.com/wood-butter/#more-661