Bay Area thrift stores?

D D

Bay Area thrift stores?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the whole zero waste lifestyle. I took a class in high school about the realities of waste and the environment and became very interested in reusable items, used books, etc. However when I went away to college, the school that promoted itself as being so green was actually extremely difficult for anyone who wanted to be friendly to the environment. Now, however, I am back in the Bay Area and am looking to both unload a whole lot of unused/lightly used clothing, purses, and a brand new wallet I was gifted that is just not my style, plus I am looking to buy replacements for the pieces I've worn out at a thrift store. The only stores I can find that buy items are Crossroads and Buffalo Exchange. Both are fine, but I'm looking for a place that has more variety (read: more likely to buy my items and more likely to have wardrobe staples for me). I am still a broke student so I am hoping to donate as little as possible--not because I dislike to donate, but because I have already donated tons and tons of items and am hoping now to recoup some of my losses. If you know of one that takes children's clothes as well that would be great, my kid sister is interested in buying and selling as well but she wears children's sizes. Thanks =)
D D

Re: Bay Area thrift stores?

Also, if anyone doesn't know the name of a thrift store but would like to discuss wardrobe decluttering, I am wondering what the "best" item you have found in your closet was--eg. a purse that was handed down or a coat that you bought for a special occasion. Best can mean either you got a nice return at a thrift store, it made a great gift for someone else, or you were thrilled to rediscover it.

Re: Bay Area thrift stores?

You listed the two that came to mind for me! They're really picky, for sure. There are other second hand shops, even in Oakland's Piedmont or Grand Lake area [higher prices & payments to you], but many sell on consignment, so you have to remember to go back to get your money, which can be a pain! Sorry :- (
Hannah's on upper Solano is the only children's shop I have had experience with, and the last time in there was probably over 10 years ago. At that time, they only took little kids' clothes, so don't know if that helps. Plug in used children's/ adult clothes or consignment thru Google and you may get some hits. Always call ahead about policies.
Good Luck and welcome back!
This is probably no help <sigh>
Post if you find a good location!!

Re: Bay Area thrift stores?

I'm on the East Coast, so I won't be of much help locating thrift stores in your particular area. Have you tried selling on eBay? I have a Buffalo Exchange in my area as well. What helps is calling the store ahead and finding out what they are looking for at the moment. It helps if your items are in almost new condition and fit the season and current fashion trends. If not, wait a little while and try again.

For me, the "best" item in my closet is the one thing I've gotten the most use out of. That would be an old, glove tanned leather Coach purse (now called Coach Classics). I've seen these purses weave their way in and out of style for years. The styling is pretty nondescript, and their construction is study enough that they will outlast the trendiest "It" bag. One thing that makes the purse a good trade-in item at a consignment store is that it is stamped on the inside with the style number and letter of authenticity. If you keep it in good condition and retain the original leather tags and dust bag, you'll have an easier time trading it in later at a decent price.
Monica Monica

Re: Bay Area thrift stores?

I highly recommend the Goodwill and Junior League thrift stores in Menlo Park if you're on the Peninsula.  In general, the Junior League thrift stores have good quality merchandise at fair prices wherever they're located.
Tracy Tracy

Re: Bay Area thrift stores?

I just discovered Twice online.  They're located in SF and you can buy and sell clothing through them.  Their website seems to have all the information you would need.
Tracy Tracy

Re: Bay Area thrift stores?

The site is liketwice.com