Baking Soda

Kiersten Johnson Kiersten Johnson

Baking Soda

As I was baking blueberry muffins I thought about what I can do to keep it fresh. They box says to buy a new box each time you want to bake. To me that is so wasteful when I will only use a teaspoon or tablespoon at a time. So what do people do about this issue? I have read to use ziploc bags but I don't want to buy them. Thank you for the advice.

Re: Baking Soda

Ah, in a way, you bring up a relevant issue --because my first response was buy small, in bulk. But how old IS the bulk in your local store? Good question to ask, look for smaller bins, and experiment! If consistently works, No Prob.

Re: Baking Soda

I buy a small box of Arm & Hammer baking soda for food purposes and divide it up into baby food jars (or other small glass jars) for storage. I label the jars and use the same ones over and over. I only use one jar at a time and they stay fresh this way.

I buy a 10-pound bag of generic baking soda for cleaning purposes and pour it into a 10-pound plastic jar that this brand used to come in. We used to reuse those plastic jar with screw-top lids for lots of things! We only have two or three now.

The empty box from the small box gets some of the cleaning baking soda put in it and goes in the fridge for odor-control. Leave the box open and stick it in the door (less chance of a mess if it gets knocked over).

This is currently the system, but I am new to zero waste. I'll be revamping where and how I buy the cleaning baking soda first since it comes in the plastic bag, which is neither reusable nor recyclable. At the moment, the small box of food baking soda is too far down my list. I've chosen to focus on plastic waste first due to it's bigger impact on the environment.

ETA: I just remembered that I did enact a new policy in our house last week. LOL ALL plastic bags that find their way in our house get shoved into the "plastic bag holder" (cloth tube hanging on door knob) and get reused as trash bags regardless of how they fit or look. We use canvas bags when shopping everywhere, so it is the insidious packaging or when someone brings us things in plastic bags, etc. BOY HAS THIS OPENED MY EYES TO ALL THE INSIDIOUS PLASTIC BAG PACKAGING!!! EEK!!

Re: Baking Soda

You can always tell whether bkg soda still has umph, by mixing with a little vinegar.

Sorry if obvious, but:
The other thing to always remember, in baking, stir/sift baking soda, baking powder with other dry ingredients, at the very last minute, and mix at very very last minute with your liquids as they work pretty much instantly, and then are done. Heat expands the little bubbles caused by the chemical reactions between the soda/powder (different!) and other ingredients, *with maybe a little more reaction as any sugars melt....

Great website to ck for expiration dates various foods/beverages:  http://www.stilltasty.com/
Elise Elise

Re: Baking Soda

Like Jay said, you may "test" it prior baking. If not fresh, you may use it for scrubbing sink, pots and countertops or add to the laundry washing water

Re: Baking Soda

I buy two cardboard boxes of baking soda and dump them into a quart Mason jar.  I never knew baking soda had an expiration date, I only bake about 1-2x a year these days but pretty sure I was using "old" baking soda in the past for baking and never noticed any problems.  ??  I keep mine under the sink since I only use it for cleaning these days.

Re: Baking Soda

Chemistry teacher here:  we use baking soda that is over a year old for chemistry labs and the results are fine.

AlexEverette AlexEverette

Re: Baking Soda

Things like baking soda, baking powder, corn starch, or spices that I don't use often, I always buy them in the bulk section. It's way cheaper, and that way I can take small amounts at a time, amounts that I know I can use up within a few months. The box always expires before I finish using it. The bulk section at the grocery store is seriously a zero waste godsend!