Baked potatoes

Janette Janette

Baked potatoes

I used to make perfect baked potatoes by wrapping them in foil. Now that I'm trying not to create waste, I put them on a baking sheet (no foil).

Now they are very dry, and the skins, which I love to eat, are inedible.

Could you please tell me how to make good baked potatoes without wrapping them in trash?

This lifestyle is not easy. It seems every time I try to make a change, I'm faced with some new challenge or inconvenience. I have a disability, and I can't handle life's being any more challenging, so I very much appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks!
MTNgirl MTNgirl

Re: Baked potatoes

I haven't tried it, but what about baking them in a covered cassarole dish?
Janette Janette

Re: Baked potatoes

That's worth a try!

Janette

On Jul 8, 2012 11:19 AM, "MTNgirl [via Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I haven't tried it, but what about baking them in a covered cassarole dish?

http://forum.994912.n3.nabble.com/Baked-potatoes-tp4025058p4025059.html
To unsubscribe from Baked potatoes, click here.
NAML
katie katie

Re: Baked potatoes

I rub the potato down with some olives oil and salt and pepper and they are pretty yummy. Another option would be to reuse the foil multiple times and then recycle. Not perfect but I completely understand what you said in your post...these changes can be hard and I've had to compromise sometimes (yogurt and string cheese are the biggies).
MTNgirl MTNgirl

Re: Baked potatoes

Let us know if the cassarole dish works!  I have been roasting new potatoes lately, so baked probably won't come into the repetoire again until fall.
joanne joanne

Re: Baked potatoes

yes olive or vegetable oil and some salt is the way to get lovely jacket potatoes
Janette Janette

Re: Baked potatoes

Thank you all for the ideas and understanding! How do you roast your new potatoes?

Janette

On Jul 10, 2012 10:07 PM, "MTNgirl [via Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Let us know if the cassarole dish works!  I have been roasting new potatoes lately, so baked probably won't come into the repetoire again until fall.

http://forum.994912.n3.nabble.com/Baked-potatoes-tp4025058p4025067.html
To unsubscribe from Baked potatoes, click here.
NAML
MTNgirl MTNgirl

Re: Baked potatoes

I got it from the book Forks Over Knives.  I use about 1/4 cup vege broth mixed with herbs and a dash of sea salt.  Pour over the potatoes in a bowl the put the potatoes on a cookie sheet and broil on high for about 20 minutes or until they are brown and start puffing up.  Delicious!  And so EASY!  I cut the potatoes so they are no bigger than about 2inches.
Janette Janette

Re: Baked potatoes

Sounds wonderful! I'll try that, too!
Janette Janette

Re: Baked potatoes

I tried baking the potatoes in a covered casserole dish, and it worked great! Thank you so much!

Janette

On Jul 13, 2012 8:39 AM, "Janette [via Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sounds wonderful! I'll try that, too!

http://forum.994912.n3.nabble.com/Baked-potatoes-tp4025058p4025073.html
To unsubscribe from Baked potatoes, click here.
NAML
Jodi Jodi

Re: Baked potatoes

 Try the crockpot!   It's more energy efficient than the oven, and they don't dry out. (Add a little water if needed).   I find that four potatoes take about three to four hours on high setting.

Re: Baked potatoes

I actually love the crispy skins from uncovered potatoes from the oven. But I sometimes start potatoes in the microwave and then finish them off in the oven, making a perfectly cooked baked potato. I "bake"  sweets and yams in my pressure cooker and they come out  amazing.

I would avoid using oils like olive oil. Oil is a highly processed food and devoid of nutrients.But then I don't really think of something that is 100 calories for one tablespoon as "food."  It also causes endothelial damage.

Let us know what works for you!
Janette Janette

Re: Baked potatoes

I put them in a glass casserole dish with a lid. It works great!

Thanks for the ideas!

Janette

http://forum.994912.n3.nabble.com/Baked-potatoes-tp4025058p4026571.html