Baby Steps

Debbie Debbie

Baby Steps

I am taking baby steps to a zero waste home and one of them is buying bulk. My local store won't allow me to bring in my own containers yet but at least I have a bulk section to use. So instead of throwing in the towel and giving up because I cannot bring in a container, I will still use the bulk section and keep asking the store management about changing it's policy.

Eventually it may change for the better!

This is fun!
Annie Annie

Re: Baby Steps

I use whatever container the store supplies and then keep taking it back to refill. It isn't as good as using your own glass jar but keeps the store happy and you reusing the same container until it wears out!
Debbie Debbie

Re: Baby Steps

good idea Annie

My store uses plastic flimsy bags but I could use them til they rip!
lynn lynn

Re: Baby Steps

Sometimes I just put all the produce in the cart, then unload onto the checkout belt without any bags.  They don't seem to mind me doing this.  And I feel better because I don't have to worry about all those flimsy plastic bags.
Marla Marla

Re: Baby Steps

That's exactly what I do. We haven't used plastic produce bags for several years, preferring our four small reusable produce bags. If we don't have them or have more produce we just put them on the belt.
Jenny Jenny

Re: Baby Steps

I did this too.  When the checker became frustrated with trying to deduct the tare (weight) of the reuseable cotton mesh bag, we just dumped the produce out and then she put them back in after weighing.  So next time I will just place it all ontop of the bags on the conveyor belt.

Re: Baby Steps

Another "trick": I [also] have a surplus of small canvas shopping bags. I have started directly placing specialty breads/bagels in them and so far no problems, from generic local super to our corner bakery. Nice because bread totally protected, and you can wash out after using. Don't buy enough to justify a pillow case.