Are there really no composting options for me?

Chicane Champagne Chicane Champagne

Are there really no composting options for me?

We live in a small apartment, no garden. This is why current options cannot work for us

Worms - we leave for 2 months every July and August and rent our apartment to tourists. There would be no one to keep feeding our worms

Regular composting bin on balcony or a bokashi system (they are good in principle but not zero waste as you need to buy the bokashi) - we have no where to bury our final compost...

We live in a small town on a small island in an environmentally retarded country. They have only just started to recycle here (can you believe that? By the way, this is a European first world country) so doing communal composting is not going to happen anytime soon...

Are there no other options for us?

Re: Are there really no composting options for me?

Maybe an electric composter (initially not zero waste either)? Expensive, but I gather effective.
Not sure I'd let tourists use it, though :-)
No matter how you compost, you will be left with material to be returned to the earth.
Here's one option: http://www.naturemill.com/help_international.html
Chicane Champagne Chicane Champagne

Re: Are there really no composting options for me?

Not bad but not great either considering the energy needed to run it...but the main problem would be where to bury it...back to the drawing board methinks but thanks for the link.
silkyhorse silkyhorse

Re: Are there really no composting options for me?

I'm not sure this would work in your area, either, but I'm thinking of posting on craigslist asking if anyone would let us add our compost to theirs.  I have my doubts, but I figure it sure can't hurt.

Re: Are there really no composting options for me?

Good idea, whether you're talking about adding to someone's active composting heap, or as a way to give away the end product. If using worms, you can also ask about adding your worms to someone elses while you're gone. They proliferate so fast, it'd be easy to get a scoop full when you come back to start over.
Small communities might still use a church or community center for a bulletin board posting. Possibly check at a local market (a la NYC), roadside stand, farmer, even a restaurant.
BTW, with the electric composter, the end result needs no further curing, so ready to give away, use, whatever. If I didn't have municipal pickup, I'd bite the bullet and get one of these. Figure the cost, electricity would be offset by a smaller garbage bin. I'm also getting more lazy, and really don't want anymore pet worms.
Roberta Roberta

Re: Are there really no composting options for me?

Does your community have a community garden anywhere?  Our church created one a few years back, and we're always looking for compost to add to our bin.
Chicane Champagne Chicane Champagne

Re: Are there really no composting options for me?

Unfortunately not. We are in Spain and they are quite behind the times, we are also on a tiny island with very little infrastructure or community programs. I am however, going to ask a farmer I know if we can take our kitchen waste to him...we'll see...

On 13 June 2011 18:01, Roberta [via Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Does your community have a community garden anywhere?  Our church created one a few years back, and we're always looking for compost to add to our bin.

http://forum.994912.n3.nabble.com/Are-there-really-no-composting-options-for-me-tp2931499p3059340.html
To unsubscribe from Are there really no composting options for me?, click here.

Reed Reed

Re: Are there really no composting options for me?

The Nature Mill composter only uses the amount of energy that a refrigerator light bulb does, and you can just toss the end product in the bushes or right on the ground.  Very low key.  I actually just got one.  I have not had it long enough to know if I could responsibly recommend it as the perfect kitchen appliance, but I’m very hopeful that it could be.  For me, significantly reducing my waste out-put is worth the energy of a refrigerator light bulb :)  Hope that info helps, good luck!