Appliances

Melissa Melissa

Appliances

Forgive me if I've missed a thread, but I have been thinking about appliances and wondering how to deal with waste of this scale. It has become very apparent to me recently in my rented home - I have a dryer with a broken switch and a dishwasher with a broken plastic open/close fastener. Both of these pieces are made of very breakable material and both endure extreme use. After some research, the landlord believes it is more cost effective to replace both appliances rather than fix them. It costs twice the price to repair than to buy a new appliance! And so now I contemplate two enormous pieces cluttering up a landfill because they were build with obsolescence in mind.

I remember the days when a television repairman came to your home to fix everything that was wrong with your t.v. and as a result, you had the same television for ten or fifteen years! Can you even imagine it?

This is a big problem for me because we are so overly technological and nothing is worth repairing.
Alexa Alexa

Re: Appliances

So now your landlord is throwing these appliances in the trash. Before they make it to the landfill...

Find out if there is a recycler in your area. If you live in an urban area, normally there are refurbishers who will take your used/broken appliances. They repair the appliances and sell them at low cost or donate them to the poor. Try searching for companies, nonprofits, etc that do that. Or, if you're feeling particularly lazy, post an ad on craigslist for them as free.

I've done both successfully, giving appliances/electronics to refurbishes and just posting about free items on craigslist. Usually the benefit to craigslist is that they will come pick up from you; whereas, most refurbishers require items to be dropped off at their store or depot. Also, with craigslist, you can post the day before they become available and have someone pick them up curbside the day of without any hassle.