Alum stone

Lindy Lindy

Alum stone

I just read this article after trying to figure out how to use the alum stone I just got.... I am very health conscious, and I would hate to think that I was doing something that could be a neurotoxin and could possibly lead to Alzheimer's or breast cancer...does anyone have any input on this matter? I have tried multiple other deodorant substitutes without much luck, baking soda makes my pits break out in some sort of terrible rash...

http://www.pacifichealth.info/archives/499

Re: Alum stone

This post was updated on .
I'm currently dating a guy who uses that alum rock thing on his face after shaving. It apparently has vasoconstrictive and styptic qualities. Apparently they last a long time.  If  you want to use it, go for it. For me personally, not using antiperspirants would not be worth it. Hyperhidrosis is a bitch.

The science just isn't causal  on the risk factors of aluminum containing antiperspirants for AD and breast CA.  Even the paraben-BRCA connection wasn't credible - the estrogenic activity of paraben was found to be thousands of times lower than that of common foods like soy and alfalfa. Many of the aluminum/BRCA studies didn't have control groups for confounding factors, including the ones cited by Mercola.  Aluminum is found in food and water and we're all ingesting it.

The risk factors you can't control for AD are age and family history. The risk factors you can control are numerous, and they include diabetes, obesity, B.P., smoking, homocysteine levels, ETOH, and cholesterol/atherosclerosis.

The risks for BRCA are genetics (family history) and biology (age of menarche and menopause, age of first live birth, # of live births, breastfeeding).  If you want to mitigate those risk factors, the two most important things you  can do are not be obese and don't drink booze.

Do you see any crossover here between prevention of AD and BRCA?  My advice is to stick to a whole food plant based diet, don't smoke, don't become obese, and don't drink more than the recommended minimum of ETOH for your gender (although studies are leaning now towards even the minimums being problematic).  Antiperspirants aren't  part of the equation, IMO.

A whole food plant based diet will not only help prevent cancer, it will decrease your B.P., lower homocysteine levels, prevent and even reverse atherosclerotic plaques, lower cholesterol, reverse obesity, and prevent and reverse diabetes. There simply isn't an easier or cheaper  way to avoid major diseases and physiologic or cognitive decline.  I guess water fasting is cheaper, but it's not easier, and you can't do it forever.

If you want to make informed decisions about products and foods, you need to learn how to read and interpret scientific studies or,  if that doesn't interest you, find credible sources to interpret the studies.  Otherwise, every quack on the internet can pull you in (like Mercola, who was cited in your link). There are probably websites that outline how to examine evidence and read studies, or you can get a basic high school or college level book on science.