A Zero Waste Christmas

Hélène Dubois Hélène Dubois

A Zero Waste Christmas

Hello!

I have been so inspired by Bea Johnson's book the past year I have written an article about tips and ideas for a "zero waste" Christmas. What are your tips?
http://www.elephantjournal.com/2014/12/a-zero-waste-christmas-tips-to-build-karma-points-feel-more-fulfilled/
janetlynne janetlynne

Re: A Zero Waste Christmas

I have been buying some scarves from the thrift store. I plan on using them to wrap gifts furoshiki style. They also had some fabric that I can cut to use for Christmas wrap, I even found a flannel sheet in great shape that I can cut down and that will wrap a lot of things
Reed Reed

Re: A Zero Waste Christmas

We inevitably receive a lot of holiday cards every year.  So, I cut the pretty front covers off and turn them into holiday postcards for the next year.  That way I don’t contribute to the industry by buying new cards every year, the cards that have already been bought by someone else get double the use, and I still get to reach out to some dear friends.  I either compost or recycle the bottoms.
It’s not perfect, but since we get the cards anyway, it’s a way to waste a little less.  The only trick is not to send the postcard front to the same person who sent it to you as a card!
Bettina Bettina

Re: A Zero Waste Christmas

An alternative to the chocolate advent calendar (coveted by children, but comes with a large piece of plastic, and often mediocre chocolate), could be an embroidered hanging advent calendar (common in Scandinavia) where you fill the pockets with treats, and it becomes a yearly tradition.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/469940488/advent-calendar-wall-hanging-christmas?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=hanging%20advent%20calendar&ref=sr_gallery_35

You could also have 24 rings instead of pockets, and hang mini bags with treats.
Linda Longobardi Linda Longobardi

Re: A Zero Waste Christmas

I have developed an amazing REUSABLE stretch fabric gift wrap that allows the user to wrap a gift in seconds without tape or scissors!  It can be used well over 50 times and is even washable!  Please help me spread the word that there really is a better choice when it comes to wrapping gifts!  Last Christmas, I wrapped about 60 gifts in 30 minutes....usually a monotonous task requiring at least a day and a half!  What was most exciting was when my three daughters finished unwrapping their presents...NO TRASH!  Usually we accumulate 2 very large bags of trash.  The only thing that was in a neat pile were the stretch fabric sleeves and coordinating stretch bands which were rolled up and tucked away for next year!
There really is a better way-hoping you'll join the movement to "shift the way you gift!"
Check us out at regiftthewrap.com and let us know what you think!